DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   lens cap waving in the breeze (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11733-lens-cap-waving-breeze.html)

Bud Kuenzli July 7th, 2003 03:47 PM

lens cap waving in the breeze

ok...it's a little annoyance and maybe you have found a simple solution to a simple problem. Simpy put, I often find myself shooting outdoors when I hear the chatter of the lens cap on my tripod. I then wrap it around the hand-strap to keep it from banging away but I can't always do that right away. What do you all do to keep your lens cap from swinging around freely when you are shooting?

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 03:49 PM

I wear baggy pants with large pockets. The cap goes into a pocket, along with a couple of batteries. When the shooting is either paused or done, I put it back on.

Alex Knappenberger July 7th, 2003 04:02 PM

Simple solution - take it off. Infact, I lost the lenscap on my camera, I have UV filter on there that I just leave on all the time, and it's pretty much a 24/7 lens cap.

Graham Bernard July 7th, 2003 04:12 PM

Ahhhhh... NOW this is what I've been waiting for! - Forget about yer Presets and Mics and balanced sound solutions . .. Sit up and be amazed!

THE SOLUTION: You will see on the reverse side of the lens cap, a clippy type hook thing. Just slot this over the first "loop" of the hand strap. Mind boggling - eh? See, mine of techie info here!!!

Now, .. . . how do I combine my MA300 and VL-3 light together? - Didn't get that design right Canon - DID yer!

Grazie

Craig Peer July 7th, 2003 04:16 PM

I glue a piece of velcro on my lens caps, with the corresponding piece on the hand strap. Faster and easier than the clip on the lens cap.

Graham Bernard July 7th, 2003 04:30 PM

Yeah, yeah...yeah! Okay - but that would mean I've gotta buy Velcro system - I've gotta find the scissors - find some glue; cut the Velcro . . apply the glue AND stick it onto the cammy? - Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it . . .

. . . . Grazie

Ben Lynn July 7th, 2003 04:50 PM

Take it off and just use a clear filter or uv filter all the time. It's just a hassle anyway.

Ben Lynn

Rob Wilson July 7th, 2003 05:53 PM

Since I rarely use the on camera mic, I covered it with a cheap-o radio shack foam wind screen. Used a tie-wrap to attach it and it leaves just enough room between it an the lens shade that it holds the cap perfectly. Just slips in and out when needed.

Jesper Hallen July 8th, 2003 06:37 AM

Gôtt!!!! (as we say in my city)... yes you can put the lens cap at the hand strap at teh XM2.. thanks!!!!

Glen Elliott July 8th, 2003 07:50 AM

Graham is right. There's no need for anything complicated, as the back of the GL-1/GL-2 lense cap has a tab (kinda like the cap of a pen) to slide into the loop in the handstrap.

Graham Bernard July 8th, 2003 08:50 AM

Jesper & Glen - Neat eh?

Grazie

Glen Elliott July 8th, 2003 10:14 AM

Say are you the same Grazie from the SoFo forums?

Graham Bernard July 8th, 2003 10:18 AM

Wot!!? - An Imposter??

Gadzooks! - Been rumbled!!!

Yup . . .

. . .. * * * * VEGAS + XM2 THE Winning Combo! * * *

Grazie

. . . now, where did I put my Groucho Marx disguise

Jesper Hallen July 8th, 2003 10:34 AM

what?=)

Ryan Krga July 8th, 2003 12:01 PM

You can't always have a UV filter on the camera. What if you have a bayonet lens? You will have to take the UV filter off, put the bayonet lens on, take the lens off, then put the filter back on. Some people don't have that time to make the switch.