A few starter questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 9th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A few starter questions

First, I know that it's not good to mix tape brands, etc. Is it a problem, however, when you switch different tape models in the same brand? For example, I'm using Sony's 60 min "Premium" tapes, but what if I decide to use Sony's next and more expensive tape? I think it's called "Excellence." Will this cause any harm to the camer?

Second, I ran a search on camera bags, but am looking for something a little different. I need a backpack style bag to hold my GL 2 for my docu this summer. I'm not looking to spend more than $50, as I will only need the bag to last through the summer. Any suggestions? And would I be askig too much for this miracle backpack to hold a tripod?
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

As far as using different tapes from the same manufacturer, you should be ok. It is only when you switch brands that you are likely to have problems.

As far as the camera bag, I have heard B&H has the backpack style you are looking for. Check out their website-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Be carefull

Just be carefull, if a tape is more expensive it doesn`t mean that it`s better ! Don`t give away your money for nothing.

I don`t know Sony`s tapes (I use only Panasonic), but if "Excellence" tapes are the one with IC chips built in, they`re expensive for NO REASON - IC chips use only Sony camcorders (and maybe a few others) and it`s kinda, well, worthless (at least in my opinion).

As bags go, you won`t find any "specialized" for less then some 200$ (i think) - so you`re better off with some high quality ordinary backpack.

Enjoy.
Mike Ostracky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

For your backpack style bag, I would recommend the Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack. It fits the GL2 nicely, with room for charger, tapes, WD-58 lense, VL10i video light, Leatherman tool, Extra Batteries, etc. I also like the flip down tripod carrier. It can comfortably carry my medium weight Bogen legs and 501 head. I believe I purchased mine for under $120.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys. After searching some of the big chain electronics stores I actually found a backpack for $40. The Motion Systems Large Camcorder Backpack has interchangeable dividers with enough room for my GL 2 and accessories - just what I was looking for.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders