Matching two cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching two cameras

Okay, folks, I realize this is a bit wild, but bear with me, or at least humor me, please. I haven't made any tests on this issue yet.

I have a GL1 as prime camera and an Optura pi as second. My NLE software is extremely inexpensive (Serif, you probably haven't heard of it). I 'm looking ahead to some interviews using both cameras, the second probably as locked-down wide shot.

While I can, of course, adjust color manually in the NLE, what options do I have for a reference on both cameras? I can white balance each manually under the interview lighting, and/or lay down 30 seconds of a color chart of some kind before taping, then try to match the two in post. Any other suggestions?
Philip Ulanowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Wish I had something to add, but it sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. Just get the white balance and exposure as close as possible in-camera.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Wrangler

1. Determine what image adjustment range you have in camera for each of the camcorders.
2. Be sure you have excellent lighting for the shoot.
3. Run tests before the shoot using similar lighting.
4. White balance and shoot the color chart, compare, make adjustments in each camcorder, and repeat to determine which combination of the available settings gives you the compromise between best match and best image overall you need for your project. (I say compromise because best match may be an image setting you do not want to use; e.g., B&W)
5. Note your final settings and other shoot parameters (e.g., lighting) for future reference.
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This info would and could be carried over to any cameras right? not just the cameras we're discussing? I own an HC1 right now and am looking to get another camera in the near future. I'm thinking about keeping the HC1 though and using it as a secondary camera for some situations.
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Wrangler

Should work with any two camcorders. However, at least one has to allow image adjustments, otherwise you are stuck with doing the matching in post.

Shooting some footage of a color card and gray card with each lighting setup can help when matching in post.
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Don

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders