Thanks to all... and a question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 12th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Thanks to all... and a question

So I just got my new GL2 and am happy to say that it is everything I wanted... in my price range, of course. It feels right in my hands and the degree of manul control at this level is bar-none.

I just wanted to say that everyone here has been extremely helpful and professional. I've been to other community boards and I've seen threads degrade into insult-hurling, immature slug fests. But dv-info is definitely my source for questions, answers and well anything dv.

And no... I don't have anything to do with this site.

I'm a soon to be film student and really appreciate the resources here. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here. It's a cool thing.

And finally: the question. I apologize if it's in the wrong forum. I just wanted to target the GL2 users

So: I'm looking to upgrade my DV editing hardware and software etc. (Read computer).

For around $2000 what would you reccommend? Apple vs. Windows.... FCP versus...anything else.. Vegas 4.0?

as I said I'm looking to make films with dialogue, music. I will be syncing sound, and I will be using color correction (no special effects/bluescreens or anything like that and the like.. .yet) I would like a/b tracks, multiple audio and video tracks and editing tools within a program.

What hardware and software would provide the fastest, most reliable tools?

Thanks much,
Rish
Ambarish Manepalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rish,
Congratulations on your new GL2! I'm very glad to hear that DVInfo has been of help to you. I know that it's certainly been a tremendous resource for me, too.

Personally, I am a devoted Mac-based editor. I think that FCP is the finest editing platform today. But implementing it on a $2000 budget might be a challenge. Powermax sells reconditioned Macs and generally has a good selection in stock. They're good people with whom I have traded. You might be able to meet your budget, or at least come close to it, by putting a package together with them.

On the PC side, I think Vegas Video is probably the leading value editor on that platform today. I've never layed hands on it, but a tremendous number of our members swear by it. I suspect that you could put together a very capable PC-based editing suite anchored by Vegas for a bottom line very close to your budget.

Since you mentioned that you're planning to attend a film school you might investigate whether or not the school might offer students the use of editing facilities. If so, you might be able to postpone a purchase decision and build-up a larger war fund in the meantime.

Good luck!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 04:13 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Ken brings up a very good point, about waiting till you get to school. There are several reasons for this-

First, they may use Macs- While I didn't like the Macs my school used, others swear by them. Regardless, it is hard to learn a task when you are going cross-platform.

Second, You may like what they use, or may hate it. But then you will at least have something YOU can base this opinion on.

Third, several institutions are able to get you student discounts on many software titles. This could save you some cash.

With that said, I'll give you my setup... I use a PC with a Canopus DV Storm and Premiere. The Storm card captures great, and allows quick renders and realtime previews in most cases. Storm also has excellent color correction tools, and works fine with Premiere. I use Premiere for editing, as it has A/B track editing, several video and audio tracks available. A little buggy now and then, but with a stable setup, not bad at all.

And if FCP wasn't Mac only, I would love to play with that! Either way you go, have fun, and great luck!
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #4
New Boot

Capture cards?

Thanks for the sound advice
I was wondering what about capture cards.
Are they necessary if your computer comes with built in Firewire/ieee ports?

Do you need more than the built in ieee ports to edit?
What are the benefits of capture cards?

Thanks,
Rish
Old July 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

In most cases, they act as a video card, for capture, and most important, rendering. No, you shouldn't need one if you have firewire connections, but they don't hurt either.

My DV Storm wasn't cheap, but it did come with Premiere and other programs. I got the model with the breakout box which goes in one of the bays. It makes things real nice and easy to reach :)
Old July 13th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree with holding off on your purchase until you start school. You will get a chance to work with THEIR systems, and form your own opinions. Also, generally speaking, the longer you can wait in purchasing software/hardware, the more bang for your buck.

I use Avid Xpress3.5 (soon to upgrade to ExpressPro0. It's cross-patform capable (mac OR pc) right now, the same price as FCP $999.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

I have noticed that film makers and the like, tend to use FCP. People in the broadcast fields use Avid. Just a general observation.
Old July 13th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #8
New Boot

Hrrrmm

Thanks, Ken, Kieth and Richard

You guys rock.
I have to add that I won't be in film school until the fall of 2004 and even that is not 100% sure. I'm looking to buy an editing system for the present that I can use and experiment with. Get my feet wet and see if I can develop some chops now.

So I appreciate the advice about FCP and Vegas 4.0. I'll have to check these puppies out.

here's something else:
I've been reading that the Zeiss Softars or Tiff Black ProMist 1/4 or 1/2 are the way to go if you want to soften and clarify during production.

But is it better to do it in post? In the sense... how long does it take to render this sort of stuff on say.. a 10 minute clip using FCP (G4 processor or better) and Vegas (p4 2.4 GHz or better)

Thanks,
Rish
Old July 13th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #9
New Boot

One last thing

I understand if this thread needs to be moved, it's strayed a bit hasn't it?

and finally
If anyone is interested in finding out where I got my GL2 for $2044 (including shipping). I ordered it on a Monday got it on Thursday of that same week. E-mail me.

Thanks,
Rish
Old July 13th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rish,
Run a Search, such as this, and you'll find a variety of thoughts on this subject. Start a new thread, or post a new question to an existing thread, if you want to pursue this topic deeper.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #11
New Boot

Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion
I realize that doing searches about rendering times and vegas are more effective than asking the same question over and over again.

cool
Ambarish Manepalli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders