DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Gl2 = Xv2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/12056-gl2-xv2.html)

Corey Sturmer July 14th, 2003 03:09 PM

Gl2 = Xv2?

I just recently ordered 2 GL2's off of an online reseller. Little did I know (Until I called the company) that the camera I was actually buying is the one made in Japan. I did some research, and after going through some weird japanese characters, found that the camera is called the "XV2" and I'm guessing, by what I have found that it is also Charcoal colored....http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/article/2002/06/25/images/images688905.jpg

What I'm wondering is if this shoots in PAL format....Anyone know?

Replies appreciated in advance...

Ken Tanaka July 14th, 2003 04:03 PM

No. It probably shoots NTSC.

I hope your Japanese is up to snuff; it might also feature Japanese menus. Also be aware that the warranty will probably not be valid for service in the US.

Corey Sturmer July 14th, 2003 07:28 PM

Yeah I knew the warranty would not apply here, but in Japan? I knew the menus would be in Japanese, already downloaded american manual, so it's cool...

Adrian Douglas July 14th, 2003 07:36 PM

Corey,

THe XV2 won't shoot PAL, it is only NTSC-J. The J signifies that it is for Japan only. There is no difference between the format that I know of so you won't have a problem using the camera in the US, except for the Japanese characters in the menu.

Ken Tanaka July 14th, 2003 07:36 PM

Corey,
I really wish you the best of luck with your new camera. But I strongly suspect that, sooner or later, you will deeply regret this purchasing maneuver.

Corey Sturmer July 14th, 2003 10:57 PM

Why?

Ken Tanaka July 14th, 2003 11:04 PM

Off the top of my head...

1. Warranty service in Japan? Do you know how much cost and hassle it will be to ship the camera to Tokyo, not to mention potentially trying to correspond with Japanese Canon technicians who may have a question?

2. Japanese menus? Do you really think you're going to carry the manual just to interpret the menus (assuming that they're even configured identically to the GL2)?

3. Oops, here comes the GL3 (some day). Where are you going to potentially sell that XV2 in the States?

Chris Hurd July 14th, 2003 11:36 PM

Corey

<< camera I was actually buying is the one made in Japan. >>

Actually they're all made in Japan, but the XV2 is made specifically for Japanese users. All of the markings on the camera, button labels, etc. will be in Japanese, and it might be difficult to sell here in the U.S. later on. And as Ken said, there will be no warranty support available in the U.S. Instead, consider buying a U.S. model from one of our DV Info sponsors. Hope this helps,

Adrian Douglas July 15th, 2003 08:27 AM

But it is that cool Black/Grey model everyone lusts for. Seriously though Corey, I would think again about buying a camera with Japanese menus/markings as it's a real pain in the arse, take it from someone who lives in Japan, speaks the language, well sort of, and can even read a bit of it. I don't know how many times I've abused the TV remote in the last 2 years.

Corey Sturmer July 15th, 2003 09:23 AM

Hahaha, thanks for the concern guys, but if you think about it, most of us have the menu's memorized as it is, or at least I do on my current cameras, (Ok, 2 clicks down, one push, three clicks down, adjust...) I don't even read the writing anymore. And the shipping would only cost about 50 dollars, as compared to the extra 1500 dollars I'd have to pay for the US model, and then what, 20 for shipping in the US? Doesn't seem worth it. I don't plan on selling this camera (I still have VHS-C cameras lying around here), so when the GL3 comes out, I'll just add that to the arsenal. Anyways, thanks guys!

Edit***I don't know if it is specifically the XV2 model, the guy from the customer service just said it would have japanese buttons, and I was unable to find a silver GL2 that has japanese markings on it, so I'm assuming it's the XV2.

Bob Benkosky July 16th, 2003 12:24 PM

So you are saying you saved $1500 by purchasing this grey Japanese model???

Anyhow.... I do like that color though, but no way would I do it. I would be lost in Japanese.

Corey Sturmer July 16th, 2003 02:59 PM

Yeah, I bought the thing for about 1250 + 50 $ shipping.....

Imran Zaidi July 16th, 2003 03:38 PM

$1250?? Is the serial number scratched off? :D

Bob Benkosky July 16th, 2003 06:11 PM

That's really only saving about $750.

I paid $2044 2-day fedex and it has USA warranty. For me it's just too scary dealing with overseas issues. Let us know if all works well.

Corey Sturmer July 16th, 2003 07:40 PM

750 or 1500, they are both a LOT of money....Around here, the camera sells for 2800...