GL2 - Audio and Video Recording for chromakey studio. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 - Audio and Video Recording for chromakey studio.

I am new to Video Production and I have purchased my "Digital Studio".
Adobe Master Collection CS3, Final Cut Pro, Chromakey background, a teleprompter, a GL2 camcorder, ligths, virtual sets and footage. I have a MAC and a PC to work with. I am ready to go on June 10th.

The company I created will focus in educational material for healthcare personnel. I have a new website I have launched to teach the Electrocardiogram which already got around 250 k hits in 5 months. My main goal at this point is to produce educational videos in chromakey background in my office. Most videos will be one person on chromakey background, some news style or 2 people with some over the shoulder shots like 20/20 on TV.

I have some questions I would like some help with:

Audio

Should I purchase a Canon MA-300 and Seinheiser Wireless microphones or should I purchase a shotgun microphone.

Recording

I have recorded some of my ECG videos by using my GL2 to film the screen. The quality is not that great. I tried to recording from the monitor VGA video output without success. Is there a way to record or capture the screen using a Canon GL2 camera? I do not need to record audio, just the video. If you know a link to a tutorial in this subject I would appreciate.
Daniel De Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Daniel,

I am absolutely not an expert at Green Screen and have very little experience (yet) as it is something I'm just starting to work with.

On the other hand, I've been reading a lot of forum posts on the subject trying to get smart about it.

If you do a search on Green Screen you'll find a lot of good info on this forum

The following is what I think I've picked up - mostly "book leaning" on my part, but hopefully some folks with real world experience will chime in

Something to bear in mind is that Standard Definition DV throws away a lot of the color information in order to compress an hour of video into 13GB. The perceptual models that are used to decide what to throw away works well for the human eye, but less well for the computer trying to pull a key.

High Def does a better job of keeping color info, but it is also not the best. The compression method used to get more data into the same 13GB is quite different and it has a lot of its own faults, but color info is preserved better than SD

Some of the other formats do really well at preserving the color information - but they tend to not be nearly as affordable as DV SD or HD.

Modern keying software is said to do a much better job than previously in dealing with the color space shortcomings of DV/HDV so if the screen is lit evenly (very evenly) and the subject is positioned far enough from the screen to minimize spill, reasonable results should be expected. Whether "reasonable" would meet your expectations or not only you can decide.

Some of the threads on the forum have discussed capturing directly to a PC from the analog camera outputs to avoid some of the problems with color space, but there also seems to be a difference of opinion about whether the capture method introduces its own set of other problems into the mix such as loss of sharpness in the image.

Again, this is pretty much a summary of what I've picked up by studying this forum as well as a few text books, but I hope it's useful for you.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3
New Boot

Video

Thanks for the post Jim.

I am still learning the ins and outs of Video. I purchased the GL2 because I have seen many good reviews on it and was a mid level professional camera. I am not sure if the new canon VIXIA HF10 would do the work for me.

I am still trying to find out how to record through a VGA output into the GL2.
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Which type of mic to use depends on the shotign situation, what kind of crew you have, and the progarm material. In general a wired mic will give better results, but a wireless may be better if the talent has to move about a lot, and you have no one to manage a wired mic as the talent moves. Shotguns are good to isolate the sound source from sounds to the rear and sides, but they are not a magic bullet.

Green screen has its uses, mainly when you need to put talent in a scene that can not readily be staged; e.g. superman flying.

Recording VGA to the GL2 (or any other camcorder) is not necessairly easy and the quality may be questionable. You maybe able to use some utility programs to capture the on-screen video to an appropriate format (e.g., AVI) for your NLE. There are adapters that connect to a VGA output and convert it to NTSC, quality is variable.
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Don,

I decided to ask the guys on Digital Juice what microphone they use. I end up purchasing the NTG-2 SHOTGUN CONDENSER MICROPHONE and the Audio-Technica ATR288W Wireless Microphone System based on their suggestion. I have not received them yet. The quality of their audio is great on their website and products I purchase from them.

Well regarding the recording from VGA to the GL2. If you go to http://www.learntheecg.com/telemetry_room.html you will see that the quality of my recording can improve. I have Camtasia for screen capture in my computer, however the ECG rhythms do not display in my PC. If I am able to make then display on my PC laptop screen I would be able to record it with Camtasia? Is this possible?

The crew for now is easy. It will be one or two talents and I. The studio, my office. If you have I suggestion of a wired mic that goes into a camcorder I can take a look on it online.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Daniel:
I thought the images you present are fine. What about them does not appeal to you? They are very clear and look like genuine images (to my untrained eye) that would be very useful for education.

Green screen on the GL-2 is doable. I am having fairly good results using the GL-2 and Edius 4.

www.cavespringlibrary.org/BG/BG-NoTrace.wmv

and

www.cavespringlibrary.org/BG/BG-kab-psa.wmv

The first link turned out very well because they sat in front of the tent. Since it did not move it keyed out very well for me. I do run into some situations where if a person holds up their hand and the fingers are spread then it does not key well.

-Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Randy.

The response I have got with the increase in traffic every month suggest that the need for this type of education is there. I am trying to obtain a better quality of ECG videos. If I could record the computer screen it would be much better but I have not been successful in getting the biomedical department of the hospital to install a screen recorder software such as camtasia in the computer. I just found out my JVC Everio has a S Video imput. I am going to try to record the ECG on it to see how it looks like. If any one knows how to record VGA to GL2 I appreciate the suggestion.

I tried to visit the links you posted but I got a page not found link.

I am impressed. I was not familiar with Eddius software. Another video editor software. I get curious but I am trying hard to learn my final cut pro and adobe premiere I got. I have been using www.vtc.com so far.
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sorry, I forget the files are large. Right click the link and save. Then view.

Best of luck to you!

Randy
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry Randall, no can do... Can't watch or download any videos :(
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hmmm....not sure what is going on but I have a solution.

We are starting to post all of our Be Green videos on youtube, I was planning on uploading one every 3 days or so but will accelerate that rate to accomadate viewing the final two. I should have them all up by the end of the week.

http://youtube.com/user/BeGreenRomeGa

Randy
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel............

Can't help with the green screen stuff but may have a solution for your VGA problem:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/comput...odGEZ1000.html

This site seems to have adapters for just about everything going. If your GL2 has better options than composite they should have something suitable.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #12
New Boot

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip. I bought one of those. I just could not make it work. It is my fault. I read the manual but could not do it right. If you know a site with a tutorial with step by step it would help. I have an EVERIO digital camera with an S video imput. I am going to try it also to see if I can make it work.
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Major Player

I was going to suggest the freeware Camstudio, but then read an earlier post where you said you couldn't get the hospital to install camtasia. I work for an agency that is very hardlined on what we can and cannot do, (while other branches of the same agency sit there downloading and watching movies all day, go figure).

As for the mike, though it's time has passed, since you are in a studio there is really no need for wireless and the potential issues they bring (interference etc) i would stick with a wired lav.

BTW, you do you have a sister named Diane who is in radio?
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi...........

Got to say I was a bit suprised to see you say you couldn't get the box to work.

"What's to work"? thought I.

Then I read the product description a bit more carefully.

The "Powered from USB" stopped me in my tracks.

Aha, OK if you actually have a PC to hand with USB ports, not so OK if you have an ECG machine that doesn't do USB.

Could that be the problem?

Stab in the dark maybe but the best guess I can come up with short of reading the FM.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #15
New Boot

First and foremost I would like to pay my respects to all video makers out there. This week I got 3 hours to do 15 minutes of footage and lots of work to do with it.

I could not get my microphone to work in the first 1/2 of the filming. Got to go back and look into the manual and figure out what to do. I have the wireless microphone and the M300 adapter to the GL2. It did not work.

I have Camtasia Studio in my laptop. I can record my PC based ECG machine and record on it. What I can not record is the hospital ECG machine which has a VGA output on it.

I have purchased a PC to TV converter Gigaware. It has an S Video output. I was not successful in recording into my GL2 mini DV tape. The instructions on the manual look simple but it did not work.
Daniel De Oliveira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders