GL2 Equipment Protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 Equipment Protection

I have two questions dealing with protection of the camera:

1. Does anyone have any good tips for transporting the camera well. Will the usual bumpiness and shock in traveling in a car or truck have the potential to damage the camera if it's kept in a non-protective, generic camera bag?

2. Also, should a weather protector always be worn when shooting on a beach or in similar outdoor enviroments? Does anyone have any good suggestions for a protective cover.

Thanks
Craig Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

When I got my GL-2, I went to the local Target department store.
For carrying, I got a generic but oversized backpack and then lined it with 3/4" thick foam.

That backpack fits inside an airline legal, hardshell wheeled pilot suitcase. A lot of my accessories (power supply, tape rewinder, extra boxes of tape) reside comfortably in the zippered back of the suitcase.

This combination was cheap (about $60-75 on sale) and does not scream out "I AM AN EXPENSIVE CAMERA-- PLEASE SOMEBODY STEAL ME!!"
(Remember that thieves look for camera cases, not someones PJs and undies.)

It has also survived a half-dozen 2,500mile trips around the Eastern US, plus several transcontinental flights to the Western US from my home in Florida.

Zero problems here.

For frequent trips to the beach and local bays, I don't use any covering but I'm very careful not to do anything stupid. If you need more protection, I'd certainly get one of the sealed plastic bag rain covers....
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders