Wanting to buy new camcorder. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 31st, 2003, 12:15 AM   #16
Trustee

Andre,

I'm confused on what you are looking for. No one here can tell you which camera to buy, in the end you are the one who has to be happy. From your posts you seem to want the Sony but think it is too expensive. The Canon is your second choice and a better price. If you want me to be subjective, up until now everyone has been quite objective, I'd go with the Canon. For my money it's a better camera, better zoom, better audio, better lens, better price and for what you want to shoot it's low light performance is more than enough.

I'm sure someone else will disagree with me and say the Sony is a better camera, but you will have to make the final decision.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 01:59 AM   #17
Outer Circle

I think that the VX2000 is the better camera, but I'd rather have the GL2. Why? Because it's easier to hold and operate. Also, the sound is better. Both cams should have about the same resolution, but with the VX's bigger CCDs, it'll require a bit less LUX. And....(drum roll), if you buy a GL2 today, Canon will give you a rebate. Yes, a rebate! So go check out the forum's sponsors! They will give you great service, a great price, and a great cam! (With the GL2.)

:)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:06 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I've been trying to make the same decision, whether to buy the GL2 or VX-2000. I finally decided on the GL2; it should arrive today!

Here are the pluses and
minuses of each, according to various reviews I've read, as well as my
own personal opinions and bias...

VX-2000

+ Unrivaled Lowlight Capability
+ InfoLithium Batteries (which show how much recording time is remaining)
+ Longer Battery Life
+ I am already somewhat familiar with the controls (I've used a VX-1000)

- No useable progressive mode (only 15 fps)
- Limited Zoom
- It's a Sony Product (I've never had a Sony product that didn't start
acting flaky, or die altogether, within 2 years)
- It's roughly $300 more than the GL2

GL2

+ Best Zoom Range in its class
+ Smaller Size (1.5 inches shorter and 1/2 lb lighter than the Sony)
+ Better optics
+ Supposedly, more neutral colors (though the VX-1000 looked fine to me)
+ Audio Controls
+ 2 sets of Zoom controllers, speed can be independantly programmed
+ 30 fps progressive mode
+ Better Styling (matter of opinion, obviously, but the GL2 looks more
"professional" to me)
+ Not a Sony Product ^_^

- Not quite as good in Lowlight as the VX-2000
- Higher learning Curve!?

Whichever camera you buy, make sure you can return it if it doesn't meet your needs...
Torajima Watanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:19 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Also, be sure to check out the links below. The first one contains various GL2 reviews, and the next two contain real world footage taken with the GL2. The indoor & lowlight shots look pretty good to me... and are ultimately what led me to choose the GL2.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/reports/owner.php

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater14.html

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater7.html
Old August 12th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #20
Major Player

GS100 produces almost equivalent footage with gl2 or vx2000,
Its of course better than sony's 950

If you need further clarifications, pls visit Panasonic dv/mx forums.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #21
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Torajima Watanabe : Also, be sure to check out the links below. The first one contains various GL2 reviews, and the next two contain real world footage taken with the GL2. The indoor & lowlight shots look pretty good to me... and are ultimately what led me to choose the GL2.
-->>>

Hmmm... I forgot about this thread. I ended up returning the GL2, both because of some flaws my particular unit had and the rather disappointing lowlight footage.

I bought the VX-2000 instead, and while there is quite a bit I prefer about the GL2, it simply can't match the lowlight performance of the VX-2000.
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #22
New Boot

I have already decided. I want a VX-2000.
But I am not going to buy it now. I am thinking on waiting some months on the expectation that Sony would release a VX-3000. My deadline is around Apr/04, but I don't know if I can stand waiting so long. At the same time, I am eager to have a 3-CCD camera as soon as possible (and use it while here in the US).

After thinking and thinking and reading and reading and thinking, the only drawbacks that I see in the VX, compared to the GL-2, is not that it's older, has no real progressive mode, has less features, etc. The only "problems" are that I really like having 20x optical zoom (like my current one) and I think it's a little bigger and heavier than I would like it to be because I will use it as a replacement to my current cheap camera, which means that I will take it with me everywhere.

In some other post, someone called "twit" a guy that would take a VX-2000 to Disneyland (I think he was talking about a PD-150, but it's almost the same camera). Well, if I had one, I would take it to Disneyland, no problem, after all, what's the reason of having a good camera and leaving it inside the closet?

My expectation is that if a VX-3k is released, it should be smaller and lighter, after all, technology improved in the last three years. I don't think Sony would introduce 20x optical, but I can live with it because I believe that the quality of the image is so good that using a little of the electronic zoom will do not too much harm to the image.
Andre Viol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Andre,

Quote:
In some other post, someone called "twit" a guy that would take a VX-2000 to Disneyland
Did you see this somewhere on these boards? Please let me know if you did; we don't allow that sort of nonsense here (that is, the "twit" part, not Disneyland! Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #24
New Boot

I'm not sure if it was in these boards because I read the camcorderinfo forums also. But the person who wrote the message was not addressing to a specific person, he was just saying his opinion that anyone that would take a PD150 to Disneyland should be labeled like that.
As I am not a native English speaking guy, I didn't even know the meaning of the word until I looked it up in the dictionary. Living and learning.
Andre Viol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders