Will Stuck Tape problem REAPPEAR after Repair at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Will Stuck Tape problem REAPPEAR after Repair

I just had to send out my GL2 to Canon for the infamous stuck tape, and REmove Tape error. I am lucky it is still under warranty. It has less then 10 hours on it. I am just curious for those of you that have had the repair performed by Canon, has the problem re occured. If so, I may be looking to change cameras!

I have a HV30 as a back up and knock on wood, no probs with this camera to date.

Thanks...
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It's kind of like asking how long will a light bulb last. Yes it will fail again. Maybe in 2 days, maybe in 10 years, but it will fail again. I've owned my GL2 for over 2 years and have never had a problem. Someday I will have this error, and I will deal with the situation when it happens.

From what I've read online, it does appear in cameras that have been exposed to cold weather, then brought indoors and have had condensation form inside the camera. Living in Wisconsin, you could be susceptible to this. Let your camera warm up slowly before using it and you should be fine.

Good luck!!
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

A number of years ago I ran into a similar problem with a Canon L2 - the source was a switch in the tape mechanism that was not making good contact, probably the result of minor corrosion on contacts. After repair, it did not recur for the 4 or so years remaining before I switched to DV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders