Wedding Audio Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Audio Help

Looking for suggestions on recording clean audio at live band receptions. We're using a GL2 with Senn ME66/K6 on board. The shotgun was too sensitive for loud music and we had it altered by Sennheiser. The shotgun by nature is not good for loud music so we're thinking of placing a wireless Samson H32 handheld on a stand near the band. We've tested this with DJ music and it worked okay but a live band is something else. Will this work and any ideas on placement?
TIA,
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Bob,

I would use a dynamic mic as they can handle high sound pressure levels. Most electret mics by nature are really sensitive and ulnless they have some sort of attenuation they will distort with loud music.

As for placement, I would find a place new the speaker, but you will be running blind unless you can get a level check. PLay it safe and dont place it too close.

Another alternative is to run line (from the mixing desk) into a transmitter (like the sennheiser EW100 series) and use the receiver's output straight into your XM2's XLR connection.

But relying on mixing desks while you have no control can be tricky/dangerous as you may end up with no audio by no fault of your.

Hope some of this helps.
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Jack,
I've heard from others that a direct feed to the band's mixer may be optimal but risky as you said. So, my hope is to find a wireless solution where I can control the audio through our GL2. Can you recommend a wireless dynamic mic that would handle live bands?
Thanks for your response,
Bob
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Bob,

I have invested in the Sennheiser Evolution Series 100 Transmitters and Receivers... I got the EW112P kit which consists of the wireless SK100 bodypack transmitter, an electrect ME2 omnidirectional lavalier microphone, and an EK100 camera-mountable receiver.

But to answer your question, I did also get the SKP100 plug-on transmitter which is designed to turn any dynamic mic into a wireless one. The plug-on transmitter can be used with the above receiver (EK100), but I did get another EK100 receiver so that I could use both the lapel and a dynamic mic... I just changed the frequencies so I could have "two" wireless systems working at the same time if I wanted.

Please note: you can have One transmitter and two receivers (ie: recording into two different devices, but you cannot have two transmitters recording into one receiver!

Hope this helps,
Jack
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I guess I should add to my response what actual dynamic mic I use... it is the Sennheiser (yes I am a Sennheiser boy!) E835 dynamic mic. It handles levels up to 150db! Wow yes Weddings never get that loud... not unless they are next to F18 launch pad... LOL

It's very well priced and has slightly better specs than the well known Shure SM58.

You can get the E835s (with a switch) but never get a mic with a switch to void dissapointment!

Cheers,
Jack
Old August 4th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #6
Major Player

My opinion on wedding sound

Heres what I do. I have two omni senn 500 evolution wireless mics attached to the groom and minister. This gives wireless sterio sound with no reverb. Clean as holywood, and I can boost the other channel, or fill in dropouts with my sound editor if there is a need(rubberbands, right channel = left, and similar tools). As for the reseption I use the onboard mics(I have a two cam set up). They seem to work just fine for the most part. At the end of the day, I have the DJ make an announcement to have "all who wish to say somthing to the bride and groom to go into a nearby room witch I have the GL2 on a tripod with the Senn ME-66 attached. The ME-66 and similar mics are best used on the field, not at a wedding.(Atleast in my opinon) GO WIRELESS!

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 08:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.

John, I assume your using two receivers, one for each channel? Would both pairs have to be on the same group but different channels? I'm using the Samson UM32 wireless setup with an ME66 on board but there is always a problem when the officiant is away from the groom. Also, what do you do if the officiant won't wear a wireless?
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, I use two receivers(B, and C channels). And I have to make sure that the ministers wireless(yes he wears two) doesnt cause problems aswell. Senn has a local agent, and an online print off of all the channels and freq to use so its not a problem. Ive never had a problem with people refusing to wear mics. I just explain how important it is, and for all the money they dump into it, they never complain. The minister is usually very happy to wear it too.

John DeLuca
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:01 PM   #9
Regular Crew

John,
When you use the Senn500 wirless lav on the officient what sensitvity level do
you use? I tried -20 and I still can't get the bride or groom very well. Would -10
work it would that be to loud????

John Dimasi
John Dimasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Everything changes job to job(range, sound levels, everything). Senn does have a general rule of thumb for most cases, and I belive it's 10 to 15. I would not recommend waiting to the last min to set everything. Go a day or so before the wedding and have two or three people test the mics for you to get your best settings(test the range, sound levels, ext) then you have a general rule of thumb before you get to the job. I've ran into a ton of problems before at high ticket weddings, like the preachers wireless mic causing interrference completely took me off gaurd. I was scrabling to fix it, and almost blew that job. As for the after party, I usually tap the mixing board with one channel, and use a dynamic/directional mic, and the likes for the other. In the hands of a good editor, you can have dramatic sound. Without good sound your footage is useless.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders