Regular Weight of VX-2000 against GL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 2nd, 2003, 05:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Regular Weight of VX-2000 against GL-2

Please, can someone tell me the real difference, in weight, between a Canon GL-2, without any accessory (microphone, light, etc... but with the BP-945 Canon battery), and a Sony VX-2000, also without any accessory (but using the Sony NP-F960 battery)? The specs for the VX-2000 are not clear and so, that's the reason I'm asking.
Thanks a lot.
Andre Viol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 05:05 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

From the GL-2 manual:

" Weight: 2 lb 7 1/2 oz (1.12 kg) "

Don't know about the VX-2000

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Regular Weight of VX-2000 against GL-2

<<<-- Originally posted by Andre Viol : Please, can someone tell me the real difference, in weight, between a Canon GL-2, without any accessory (microphone, light, etc... but with the BP-945 Canon battery), and a Sony VX-2000, also without any accessory (but using the Sony NP-F960 battery)? The specs for the VX-2000 are not clear and so, that's the reason I'm asking.
Thanks a lot. -->>>

The GL2 is 1.5 inches shorter and 1/2 lb lighter than the VX-2000, according to the stated specs.

I recently tested both cameras, and the VX-2000 was noticeably larger and heavier than the GL2, although I'm starting to get use to the heft after a 6 hour shoot this weekend.

Also note that Sony's F960 battery will last longer than than Canon's BP-945. Even using the LCD, I didn't have to change the battery all weekend.
Torajima Watanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

vx-2000 manual says it is 1.4 kg (3lb 1 oz) for the main unit only.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #5
Outer Circle

With these 3 CCD hand-helds, it is not only the weight to take into consideration but how they are balanced and how well you can grip them with your right hand. Cams which are well balanced with a useful grip for your fingers are:

GL2
DVX100
PV-DV953

The VX2000 is more difficult to grip with my right hand I find, and the TRV950 is next to impossible---no ridge for the fingers, so with the least amount of sweat the cam slips, and pulls to the left and forward. Solution: use 2 hands or a tripod. :)

PS: the MX300/0 is also bit difficult to grip because of a poorly designed ridge, but the cam is both light and balanced so the solution is to tighten its hand-strap snugly.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #6
New Boot

I've read somewhere that the VX-2000, when used with the biggest battery, the NP-F960, although obviously heavier, is more well-balanced.

I haven't tried any of them yet. Still have to find a place near here to grab them and just feel them. I have only seen the GL-2, but it was stuck to a support, so I couldn't try it. But I got very impressed with its size. I expected a bigger camcorder and what I saw was a rather small one - I think that this is because my current camcorder, that's a Sony DCR-TRV 110, made for the Brazilian market, is old and heavy compared to the newer models. It has around 1kg with battery and cassette loaded.

After a search in Sony site, it states that the NP-F960 battery weights around 300g so the total weight for the VX-2000 should be around 1.8 kg. 80% more than my current one...
Andre Viol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders