DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Footage doesn't have scene detection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/127967-footage-doesnt-have-scene-detection.html)

Phil Gosselin August 13th, 2008 12:36 PM

Footage doesn't have scene detection

Hi all,

Lately whenever I shoot with my GL2 and capture afterwards through Vegas the program doesn't detect any scene even though that option is enabled.

With any other tapes shot with other camera it's all fine.

I checked the manual but other than Index Write there doesn't seem to be any other option that relate to scene detection and even then Index Write doesn't seem to be it either.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Graham Bernard August 14th, 2008 01:53 AM

Hmmm... I'm thinking that your time/date isn't set on your GL2. Do you have a flashing system battery alert? If so renew it. I had too. And yes I HAVE had my XM2 that long!

Question? Does anyone know if these tiny batteries ARE re-charged from the main battery? I say this 'cos I am now wondering if this was the reason why my sys. battery failed on the one camera that is mostly now retired. If they aren't re-charged, then this may not the reason and your sys battery has just run out of "umph". It's a quick job, cost me a couple of quid.

Anyways, check for the flashing warning and at least "attempt" to set your date and time.

Grazie

David L. Holmes August 14th, 2008 05:03 PM

I very much doubt it. I've never seen a rechargeable "button" type battery before...

Phil, is this a problem with the capture camera, or the tape? Do you use your GL2 to capture with? and if you do, you said other tapes are fine, so this could be a tape issue also.

Try switching cameras, or tape brands. Of course the little things can do wonders like replacing the battery, and even running a head cleaning tape through the camera.

Hope this helps.

Alan Craven August 14th, 2008 11:55 PM

As far as I recall, the internal battery in the XM1/GL1 was recharged whenever the camera was attached to a power source - battery or mains. There were instructions in the manual for how to get at it if it needed replacement.

The XM2/GL2 has a replaceable internal button cell. I think the manual advises its replacement each year. I had my XM2 for two and a half years, and I had to replace the battery after 18 months as the camera kept losing its internal settings.

Phil Gosselin August 16th, 2008 12:17 PM

Hi all

Well the only thig I ca see is the I did replace the CMOS battery a couple of shoot back but I just reset the clock this week.

As for the tapes, I've used all kinds so I am fairly sure the problem is not there. Different tapes with different cameras and the scenes are always there except when I shoot GL2.

Come to think of it this issue kinda coincide with the CMOS battery going dead 7 months, I know I waited that long to replace it :)

I have a shoot today so I'll let you know if the scene are back because of the clock that is now set.

Thanks for your input,

Phil