GL2 kinda died yesterday, screens inside better explains the situation. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Major Player

GL2 kinda died yesterday, screens inside better explains the situation.

Hi all,

I was on a shoot yesterday and everything went well up to a point. I did one last shot in a certain area and turn off the camera. Swith battery and tape maybe 2-3 minute later and heres what I now see.

Attached file 0db represents what I see in both the lcd screen and the viewfinder when the gain is set to 0.

Same thing for the second attached file but this time when it is set to 18db.

I actually created these jpeg in Vegas using gradient events. On my camera's screen I ca also see the audio levels (they work properly) as well as everything else that could on: custom preset key ND filter and so on.... There is even red tape indicator the flashes because there is no tape loaded in the camera.

So my camera died but it is still alive somehow somewhere.

Has anybody experienced that type of failure and if so what was the real issue.

I will take the camera to an authorised Canon tech next thuesday but I wanted to run it here first just in case there is something I could do before then.

If you haven't experienced this before but have question or comments please feel free to do so.

Many thanks

Phil
Attached Images

Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Old Boot

Nasty.

If I didn't know any better I'd say that you have a digital value switched on and/or a still/mix going on. Any chance that this is an option? Otherwise, nasty nasty nasty . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Graham,

I'm not sure I follow you when you say "digital value" or "still/mix". By the latter do you mean that it is perpetually taking a picture?

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM   #4
Old Boot

Sorry Phil,

1] Digital Value: On the XM2 we have the option to access several DIGITAL features: Zoom; colour BArs; Effects and so on. I was attempting to ascertain if any of these were being used.

2] Still/mix: There is also an option to access a User uploaded still to be part of the actual videoing. I was wondering if this had happened and was THIS being displayed.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders