DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   image quality (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/13178-image-quality.html)

Luke Gates August 12th, 2003 04:30 PM

image quality

As I watch the skate videos I own I notice that the picture is VERY sharp and the overall image quality is great! Pretty much the only camera used for skate vids is the VX1000 and VX2000, but I see the 1000 more than the 2k. Most skatefilms are filmed by other skaters who happen to be skating at the time. Not saying they don't know what they are doing but they aren't Pro filmers. So with that said...why am I not able to get video quality anywhere near the quality of theirs? Do the make it look better in editing or am I just doing something wrong? How do they get such good colors and sharpness?

Luke Gates August 12th, 2003 04:31 PM

by the way I use a GL1 with Vegas Video.

Gints Klimanis August 12th, 2003 04:45 PM

You don't state the conditions of your shooting. I tape a lot of martial arts action. When I started taping with my vx-2000,
I was disappointed that the footage didn't look much better than with my cheaper JVC. I was shooting indoors and needed stronger light with an even coverage. You need to white balance and expose properly. Also, I found that the autofocus was constantly hunting. A major improvement was switching to
manual focus and tapping the autofocus button occasionally.
Now, the question is, are these skaters doing all of this work?

Other than setting manual focus, probably not.

Luke Gates August 13th, 2003 06:45 AM

manual focus is a good idea but won't work as the distance from the subject changes fast and often. White balance...I probably should take along a white sheet of paper.

Jonathan Richards August 13th, 2003 09:27 AM

Buy a GL2 - much better...

David Woodland August 13th, 2003 10:07 AM

I have a GL2 and i still have the same question. How do videographers make their skate videos so enjoyable to watch. The way they make the shots look even better. The whole reason why I got this camera was because I wanted to enhance my shots and make them look the best they could be. Ok, im done.

Jonathan Richards August 13th, 2003 10:18 AM

The GL2 is more than capable of producing high-quality, broadcastable footage. There are many factors to the production of good footage - decent light, perhaps a filter or two, good editing etc etc. A good camera is not an 'out of the box' solution...

Corey Sturmer August 13th, 2003 12:52 PM

A more burning question for me, is why the fish eye lense is ABUSED so often in skate videos? What does it accomplish? I really don't understand and am ANNOYED by the fish eye lense used in that context. GRRR.

Luke Gates August 14th, 2003 07:50 AM

when you are doing a "run"...following the skater doing a sequence of tricks...a fisheye gets a much more stable image as you are skating behind someone. Also during a run you can't keep your eye on the LCD so its nice to have a fisheye and just know the skater is in the frame. When that skater is doing a set of stairs, or a grass gap, or a handrail, the steps look higher, the gap looks bigger, and the rail looks steeper. It also allows you to get in the skaters face...it just looks better up close.
But don't get me wrong, long lense has its place in skate videos. Again I will mention the movie Menikmati by Es'. That film has some amazing long lens filming. Another thing that I think makes a video, is when they have 2 cams. One long lense and the other fisheye. You will see that a lot.

Luke Gates August 14th, 2003 07:51 AM

John...does a GL2 really make that much of a difference over a GL1?

Jonathan Richards August 14th, 2003 07:52 AM

and that question is for...

Luke Gates August 14th, 2003 07:53 AM

for you of course...the only john who posted on this thread! lol

Jonathan Richards August 14th, 2003 08:31 AM

Well, my experience has been with an XM1 and now the XM2. There is a noticeable resolution difference for sure. More of a 3D quality to the XM2. Aside from the obvious functional differences the picture quality is undoubtably better. Also, the audio is much improved with the manual controls and level meters.

It handles just as well, feels good but still doesn't have the kudos of the Sony PD-150 to look at in my view. The Japanese XV2 looks far cooler... see here http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/artic...88905.jpg.html for example

Hope this helps