Help with getting sound to camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Tourist

Help with getting sound to camera

We are in the processing of taping with a canon gl2 camera and would like to pull sound from a macee 32 channel sound board. We used an audio-out from the sound board using an xlr to an rca plug into the camera, but my sound level did not change. I put the rca plug into the a/v plug in the back right side of the camera. I am a new user to the camera, so any suggestions would be appreicated.
Barry Edmundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Try running an RCA line out from the mackie into the 1/8" mic input (towards the front on the right side of the GL2) Turn the mic attenuation on in the GL2 to keep from getting too hot of a signal, then set and check your levels at the camera, monitoring through a pair of headphones plugged into the camera.

I've used this configuration many times and have been very pleased with the results.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Tourist

mic attenuation on canon GL2

I tried to turn the mic attenuation on in the GL2 but had no success. If I can get this part done, we will try your suggestion in the morning. Hope you can message me through this.
Barry Edmundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Just remember that a line-level signal is pretty hot, so you'll need to set your audio levels manually and start low and bring them up to where you need them.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've done a couple of school projects with my kid using some decent condensor mics hooked up to my Behringer 802 mini-mixer with really good quality on the sound.

Main outs of the mixer ran to the mic in port on the GL2 using a RadioShack dual-RCA to 1/8" stereo plug. Works GREAT.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Wrangler

When using the mic jack as an input, it is usually best to set the mixer output to MIC level. That avoids the possibility of clipping in the first preamp stage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders