GL2 Startup questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 21st, 2003, 11:48 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 Startup questions

I'm falling asleep reading my GL2 manuals. My problem, not Canon's. However, I cannot seem to find a description of what the "digital video solution disk" is all about. One of the package instructions said to be sure to read the Instruction manual before loading the solution disk on your computer. In the Instruction manual, it says be sure to install the "solution disk" before importing video clips from GL2. Neither tells me what's included in the "solution disk".

I've got a finely tuned "turnkey computer" which works fine with my aging Sony camcorder. I'm using Adobe Primier, so have no interest in downloading another video editing program. I'm excited to see the quality differences/improvements with clips from my new GL2. The question I keep asking myself is: do I really have to install the Canon software to be successful in importing and using video clips from my GL2? Any help on this item would be greatly appreciated.

One additional question. Most of my videos made from clips from my Sony camcorder have occasional diagonal lines running through certain clips. I've been told this is problem generated from different fps speeds on the camcorder and the computer. I've also been told that the GL2 has a feature for addressing this problem. Can someone steer me to a forum thread or other resource where I can read some "how to" explanations.

Thanks a heap.

bake
r
Old August 22nd, 2003, 01:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I never installed that disk and I've been uploading clips for 2 months now. I never even saw it in the manual.
David Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 03:20 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks David

On page 12 of Canon's "Digital Video Solution Disk" there is a message with exclamation mark in front:
"Be sure to install the DIGITAL VIDEO SOLUTION DISK" before you connect the camcorder to the computer".

Some other place I also found a similar reference, which made me wonder what impact the software might have on my computer...

I'll take your word/experience that I don't need to install the software.

Any leads on where I might find a discussion about calibrating camcorder with computer for glitch free video cllips?

bake
r
Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:16 PM   #4
New Boot

I thought the software was for still image transfers and manipulation only. Or maybe I missed something?

Just recieved my GL2 from Zotz Didital late yesterday. Lots of info to digest from the manual even though I downloaded the manual from the Canon site and started studying days before.

Can't wait to get shooting.

Bill
Bill Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 10:25 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Bill

I would be interested in your initial observations after you had time to try it out.

My first recording experience left me a little disappointed on the control of sound. With ear phones on and off, either way it seemed like the the recording phase and the playback left me straining to hear the sounds I was recording, even with the audio levels for recording and playback at the highest mark and 16 bit. I do have some hearing loss, but I never noticed this as a problem with my older HI 8 digital Sony. But, if the sound are reasonable on Primier timeline, I'll be happy.

I bought the Canon shotgun mic, but haven't tried that yet.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 01:27 PM   #6
Tourist

Re: GL2 Startup questions

Hey Bud
I just got my GL2 Friday 22 and I had ordered Pinnacle Studio 8 With 1394 card(78 bucks).I installed card then software and it even came with a 1394 cable to plug into the GL2.I plugged in camera and it was reconigzed by XP-Pro and away I went.
i had made a video of a golf event and I captured it into studio 8 and played with it.I am very impressed with how easy the program is to use and absolutely tickled to death with the GL2.I am amazed at the quality of the video and just now learning to use it.I did not have time for much practice before friday night so I put it in the easy mode and shot away.!!!!GREAT VIDEO!!!!
You will love the GL2 and love Studio 8 even though it is slower than other programs.I think it is user friendly and I like it.All I had to do was install card,,,install software,,,plug in cam and turn on!!!!VIOLA___Gud Video
I did not bother loading the canon software but I thought it was for USB card reading only,myself....HOPE THIS HELPS
<<<-- Originally posted by Baker Rawlings : I'm falling asleep reading my GL2 manuals. My problem, not Canon's. However, I cannot seem to find a description of what the "digital video solution disk" is all about. One of the package instructions said to be sure to read the Instruction manual before loading the solution disk on your computer. In the Instruction manual, it says be sure to install the "solution disk" before importing video clips from GL2. Neither tells me what's included in the "solution disk".

I've got a finely tuned "turnkey computer" which works fine with my aging Sony camcorder. I'm using Adobe Primier, so have no interest in downloading another video editing program. I'm excited to see the quality differences/improvements with clips from my new GL2. The question I keep asking myself is: do I really have to install the Canon software to be successful in importing and using video clips from my GL2? Any help on this item would be greatly appreciated.

One additional question. Most of my videos made from clips from my Sony camcorder have occasional diagonal lines running through certain clips. I've been told this is problem generated from different fps speeds on the camcorder and the computer. I've also been told that the GL2 has a feature for addressing this problem. Can someone steer me to a forum thread or other resource where I can read some "how to" explanations.

Thanks a heap.

bake
r -->>>
Old August 23rd, 2003, 08:03 PM   #7
New Boot

sounds like a winner

Thanks Bud

I'm three years commited to Adobe Primier so I'll pass up your suggestions for Pinacle, but looking forward to similar results with my new GL2. Finally figured out the audio problem, as I located the switch to go from auto to manual. Big, big difference on audio reception now, almost good enough to hear dust fall to the floor.

bake
r
Old August 28th, 2003, 08:00 AM   #8
Regular Crew

GL2 Startup Questions

Just got my GL2 and am just now trying it out. Have Pinnacle Studio 8 loaded, but not yet the "Digital Video Solutions Disk". I believe it has ZoomBrowzer, which also came with my Canon Pro90 digital camera. Many Pro90 users prefer the BreezeBrowzer (Breezesys.com) instead. Has anyone tried to use this browzer -- for the GL2 stills?
Question for Bake: did you get better audio with the manual setting versus the automatic? Please elaborate.
For Pinnacle Studio 8 users: Is there a way -- with this or other editing S/W -- to initially review a day's "take" at full screen, to make sure what is kept is free of flaws, is in focus, has enough depth of field, has no overexposed areas. etc.? Seems like the small review window in Studio8 is not big enough -- on my 15" LCD -- to do that well.
Thanks
Roland
Roland Barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The video solutions disc appears to be (from my cavalier observations) to be the same as what ships with Canons still digital cams, except that it includes drivers to download stills from the video cameras, instead of the still-only cams. It may have some crappy video editing software too, but it's very easy to say if you're not downloading stills using the USB port on the camera, don't bother sticking that CD in your drive.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Brian

I want to use the stills at times when I can't get close enough with my Pro90 (10X) but can get a 1488x1128 JPEG (at 20X) with the GL2. But so far I've had trouble setting up the USB connection with my computer (installing the driver).
Roland
Old August 28th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #11
New Boot

Are Stills with the GL2 better?

A find of mine explained that he no longer takes a still with his Canon XL1 video camera, because he will often miss the better shot due to lag time during the (I guess) downloading of the image to the memory card. In other words, the video camera cannot take a rapid sequence of images using the still mode. He finds it better to just keep "rolling" with the video and then later, after capturing clips to his computer, he uses his video editing software to "freeze" the exact frame he wants to turn into a still.

Question: Is there much difference when one compares the resolution/quality of a still image with that of an image that was a product of a frame from a clip on the same subject?
Old August 29th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Bake

I'm still going to try to set up the card/still capability and do some comparison testing. I need the best reolution possible for printing.
Could you elaborate on the auto/manual audio comments you made earlier (see my previous reply). Thanks.
Roland
Old August 29th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #13
New Boot

manual audio

As a newbee to the GL2, each day seems like I discover a new feature and feel even better about my purchase. I suppose this is a common experience for lots of people. I have an outside wedding coming up and I need good audio reception/recording. When I discovered that the audio dials didn't seem to work at all, I got real concerned. Just recording TV got so/so results. Then I flicked the audio switch to manual and was pleasantly surprised at the increase when I manipulated the audio gain dials. One can make the audio reception so sensitive, however, it's like a grainy image, with lots of distortion.

This evening I will test out the Canon shotgun mic I also got to see how it fits with the manual audio gain. What I am hoping to do is avoid for the time being are remote mics until I know more about the latter. My first remote mic purchase (Sony) was a big disappointment.

So I give a thumbs up to manual audio just as I do for the manual apeture, speed and brightness controls.
Old August 29th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks

I guess I'll be a few weeks/months behind you on the learning curve. But I'll be doing only outdoor nature videos, which present a whole different set of problems than weddings and such.
One thing that's still bugging me is the apparent lack of a large preview/editing screen for screening/editing (in Pinnacle Studio 8). It seems that all the not-so-expensive programs lack a full screen editing capability, perhaps all. Any clues?
Roland
Old August 29th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I may want to take some stills and print them for some friends.I am in the market for a printer.I have been looking at the canon printers,I850 and the I550.I also use Adobe Premiere.What would you recommend for a printer to use with the GL2 ?Would you bother with the ''solution disk''?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders