How do you guys like my commercials? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Honest and heartfelt advice to ALL young videomakers who are looking to make a career out of it: save your cash up and GO TO SCHOOL. This isn't a shot at ANYONE in particular, more of a shot at EVERYONE who thinks they are "too cool for school": You aren't as good as you and your mother think you are.

Go to media college, learn about things like scripts, pacing, lighting, editing (not just VIDEO editing - learn to edit YOURSELF).

I think it was Hemingway that said "the first draft of anything is s**t". Learn to separate what you LIKE from what is good, and ONLY keep what is good. Some of my best shots are lying on the cutting room floor.

If you want to do video as a hobby, have at it. If you want to do video as a BUSINESS, get good at it or stop doing it.
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I think it was Hemingway that said "the first draft of anything is s**t".
I'm glad Hemmingway said that. I thought it was just me ;-)
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

What nobody is saying is that the actual subjects were simply a dreadful advert for a martial art. I spend a lot of time with dancers - performing arts is my area of work. Dancers, when rehearsing 'mark' the routines - no major effort, just a practice of the individual moves, and this display reminded me of that. Big blokes pretending to fight with kids. If I was a parent looking for putting my kids into a contact sport, I'd be very wary of this club - none of the moves were synchronised, few had complete extension (not sure what martial arts call it), and it looked very amateur.

What should have happened was that the director saw the action they had planned then shot it from many angles. Loads of scope for making the 'hits' that fall short look much closer.

It's disappointing the OP cleared off, unwilling to read more comments - actually, I bet he still does read them. Asking for comment on a pro forum means it won't always be positive, and to be honest, you need this. I have learnt far more from negative comments I've received over the years than all the pats on the back. They're rarely personal.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #19
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Asking for comment on a pro forum means it won't always be positive, and to be honest, you need this. I have learnt far more from negative comments I've received over the years than all the pats on the back. They're rarely personal.
Well said Paul, very well said indeed.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #20
Major Player

In my opinion, if you want a pat on the back, ask a close relative. if you want constructive criticism, ask a forum. if the forum can not find constructive criticism, you have finally made it to the top of the bunch. I am still at the point of finding plenty of flaws in my own work. I have not yet posted a clip here to get assistance finding flaws. When I do post a clip and ask for advice, a skilled person avoiding pointing out the negative aspects of my work would be doing me a great disservice.

Meeko Gray, this forum does not allow bashing. the people that made the comments did not do it to bash you, or to be mean. they are trying to help you. you could spend a lot of money to go to school and get told what your mistakes are, or get the information for free right here.
I learned from the comments made to you and it will affect my future work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders