I'm a Bone-Head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 25th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #1
Major Player

I'm a Bone-Head

Ok. I'm down in Marshville, NC preparing to shoot on a documentary I'm working on. I put my tripod plate on the GL1, place it on a stool and start working on the Bogen when right before my eyes, the camera rolls and hits the CEMENT floor, lens first (sunshade, actually). An approximately three-foot drop. My heart skipped several beats and I couldn't move.

I picked up the cam, checked the lens - not a scratch (but the sunshade is pretty scratched on the side). No other visible damage except to the "mode wheel", which is scratched.

I tested the cassette eject - worked fine. I ran 45 seconds of video, tested the zoom and manual settings - all fine. I put it in VCR mode and played the 45 seconds back - no apparent problems!

Now I know I'm either extremely blessed or lucky (or both). My rather long-winded question: What problems (if any) could I expect from this? Is there potential problem I should look for?

PS: I swear, it was sitting on the middle of the stool, very stable. I don't know what caused it to lean, but I won't make that mistake ever again.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #2
Outer Circle

From the sound of it, your cam survived---but you won't really know until after you've used it for a while.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. Makes me feel like I have a timed detonator on my camera and at any time it can just "POP"!

My biggest fear was that the heads became misalligned and I would have pixelation everywhere. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Mark,

Similar experience, except it fell out of a saddle bag on the horse I was riding at a full gallop. Same luck, it's contined to work fine and that was 10 months ago. Not sure the Optical Image Stabilization is working well (anyone know of a good way to test it?). I sure was impressed when I dusted it off and saw that it still worked fine.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #5
Major Player

At least you could blame a galloping horse to shake your cam loose. My mishap was caused by the ever-menacing bar stool!

Glad to hear it still works, though. It gives me hope! Thanks for the info.
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You're a lucky fellow. The lens hood is actually designed to absorb a certain amount of shock. If the camera had landed flatter on its side the results might have been different. Keep an eye on your tape transport (play, record, rewind, ff) for a while, particularly the record. It's possible that you knocked a head out of alignment but if it's not already apparent (i.e. streaky or blocky video) the chances are that it's ok.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Ken. I'll do that. That was my biggest fear, the allignment. I'm going to hold my breath. I still have three months of shooting to go!
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #8
Wrangler

Test head alignment by playing some old recordings to see if they track OK.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks, Don. I'll do that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders