fuji dvm60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 29th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

fuji dvm60

does anyone know if fuji tapes are considered wet or dry tapes? in a pinch, could i use panasonic dry tapes w/out having to go thru the head cleaning ordeal?

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 01:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

I am not sure what you mean by "dry" or "wet", but here is an article that may be of help to you. It is about different brand MiniDV tapes and their respective qualities. It also mentions which cleaning processes are better than others.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 01:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Helps if I make th elink visible... LOL

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Jack
Old August 31st, 2003, 02:17 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Fuji miniDV tape is dry.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 02:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

Just out of interest, what is the explanation of wet and dry tapes??

Thanx.
Jack
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:14 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Frank,

1. is there a list somewhere? how do you know if it is dry or wet?

2. Does it matter whether you use driy or wet on a GL2 as long as you do not switch back and forth?

Phil
Phillip Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:44 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Jack, the only thing I know is that most tapes use a dry lubricant while a few use a wet lubricant; and the 2 types of residue should never meet. There's probably more to this story. I presume the interaction of the different chemicals may also cause unwanted pleasantries: clogging, drop-outs, screwed-up video----even damage to the heads. The mixing of tape types/brands has been an ongoing saga for years on the camcorder forums.

I should also add that not all miniDV tape are created equally. Many people have reported head-clogging with some brands of tape, without mixing types/brands. I have also had this unfortunate experience with JVC tape. When I bought my first miniDV cam, a JVC, I figured, well, I might as well go with JVC tape. Ugh. What a mistake! The only JVC tape which hasn't yet given me a problem was a JVC miniDV head cleaner. The Panasonic cleaner which came with each of the MX3 cams wouldn't even work: "beep beep beeb," that's all I got. I just use Fuji now, never any problems.

The biggest no no in the earlier days of DV was DON'T MIX Sony and Pana tape in the cam. Now a days, you never know what's what with tapes. At least with Fuji tape, you always know what you get: great tape.

Regarding a list? There's a partial list on one of the links at:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

(Hopefully the link is still active.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders