Major problem with one of my GL2s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 30th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Major problem with one of my GL2s

While trainning my friend to be my second camera man at events, I noticed he was causing flair in the lens. I stopped him, but maybe to late. After he left, I had an strange feeling that somthing had gone wrong. I tested both of my GL2 cameras side by side. I noticed the exposer was fine, but one of them had a totally different color balance!(the one that had the flare). With both cameras set exactlly the same, under 5000k tungsten lighting the flared camera had a major blue cast while the other looked netrual, with daylight mode under tungsten the flared camera looked way to warm, however greycarded they look the same(basically a different color balance when put on factory light balance modes). I tried to clean the heads, and came up empty handed. If someone can give some good advice on what to do next I would really appreciate it, I have a three year warrenty on everything.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #2
Warden

How was he causing flair in the lens? How is the white balance set for each camera? What mode are you operating the cameras in?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #3
Major Player

The flair was caused by shafts of light coming through the trees(not pointed directly at the sun for a long time). I would estimate he did it for atleast a half a second to a second (that I saw, and who knows if hes being honest with me and did it for longer peroids of time when I was away from the camera). The light balance was set for tungsten light(during the test). Basically one gives a cooler balance and one gives a warmer one with the exact same settings. They where in frames mode. The thing that scares me the most is that they are VERY different color balances, not even close and one the same settings.
Old August 30th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Warden

Pointing a camera at bright daylight sources (such as sunlight passing through trees) should cause no problem unless done for a prolonged period of time. Have you tried manually white balancing each camera?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 30th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, they seem to be very similar. My main concern is to why the factory light balances are so different. What could cause this? BTW- Thanks for all the help.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
Old August 31st, 2003, 06:30 AM   #6
Warden

If the cameras aren't matched and as far off in color as you describe, I would send one in for repair. Send a sample tape, showing the problem and a complete written explanation of the problem and how the camera was setup. Hopefully the repair facility can duplicate the problem and fix it for you.

Be careful of the all automatic, green box, mode that many Canon cameras have. When in that mode, many functions are disabled. In performing your tests make sure the cameras are setup identically.

Old August 31st, 2003, 07:15 AM   #7
Major Player

John, I'm sure you have probably checked this, but is it possible he accidently pushed the Custom Preset button and activated a setting with the color gain or phase set differently?

Just a thought.
Old September 1st, 2003, 01:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Acually that was one of the first things I checked. I am sending them back for repair, but I thought it was strange that I noticed it after the flair, even though flair shouldnt have caused this, it was the only thing I could think of that happened. Strange coincidence perhaps???? Thanks for the help

John DeLuca Akron, OH
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders