Help Need remedial training on FRAMERATE for fashion show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Help Need remedial training on FRAMERATE for fashion show

I am shooting a fashion show this weekend for a friend. (one of these no pay jobs) I am using my GL2 and for the life of me cant remember what mode to have it in. Do i use FRAME mode or a different mode?

The reason i am confused is i also have a HV30 that I have been using while traveling to Asia, and i know when i would use 24, 30 or 60... but i dont have this setting on the GL2. Is there just the FRAME MODE, and 16:9 available on the GL2.

Should I assume that i am shooting everything at 60i with the GL2 (which is same as 30fps right)
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Wrangler

For NTSC:

Movie mode is 30 frames per second interlaced (60 fields per second). The fields are spaced in time by 1/60 second, and if you capture a full frame you can see motion interlace artifacts.

Frame mode is also 30 frames per second interlaced (60 fields per second). However, both fields of the frame were captured at the same time using a pixel shift technique, so there are no interlace motion artifacts in a frame grab. However, the vertical resolution is reduced somewhat, and motion may not appear to be as smooth.

Which should you use? Depends on the intended use and effect you are trying to achieve. If the intent is viewing on a standard TV set, movie is likely better. The camcorder is designed for 4x3 aspect ratio and this will probably produce better results for most cases. Be sure to check if you "client" has specific druthers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders