What to do - GL2 vs. dvx100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 4th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #1
New Boot

What to do - GL2 vs. dvx100

I returned my defective GL2 and I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the DVX100. Although, I am mainly interested in making documentaries I figured the larger CCD's and 24p feature of DVX would not hurt. Oh yeas, there is a $1500 difference between the two.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Sirak Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Personally, I like the GL2 better. I also like the fact that the GL2 costs less. They are both great cams; and any new cam can be a "dud." But then again, if you want 24P, the DVX is the ticket.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

You have to weigh the different features of these two cams and determine which one best suits your needs. Ultimately the right one for you is the one which feels best in your hands in terms of ergonomics and controls, and whose image you like best on a pro video monitor. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #4
Trustee

I own both, and In my opinion the DVX is definitely the superior camera in terms of image quality...But it should be...it's a newer camera that costs 50% more...And while this difference may be difficult to see on anything other than an HD Monitor, I find that my cherished GL2 has moved to second camera status.

I wish the DVX had the 20x zoom of the gl2, but I am more glad that it has an excellent wide angle built in...I have never seen wide shots that look this good from any camera in this category.

I wish the DVX had more automatic controls in Progressive scan...while the lack of gain control make some sense to me, the lack of autofocus doesn't...but Panasonic has put a "for commercial use only" label on the box...so they are telling you that they consider this a Pro camera, not a prosumer model like the GL2.

I never felt the need for Xlr adapters until I got them with this camera...now I can't imagine being without them.

Which to buy....I think this is primarily a budget issue (in addition to what Chris suggested). If I had to choose one, and had the $3400...I'd definitely buy the DVX again. If I didn't have the money, or needed to spend the rest on support or lights...then the gl2 is an excellent camera, that will produce outstanding quality video...you'll never need to apologize for it.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the input. I think I will try another GL2 and see if it comes clean. Any more issues and I going with the panasonic.
Old September 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sirak,

If you can do without 24P but want the bigger 1/3" chips check out the Panasonic DVC80 it's $2,350 VS $2,000 for the gl2(after the 250 rebate)

Hope that helps.

Jed
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Owning both, I love both -- for different reasons.

First, I use the GL2 almost exclusively for my outdoor/nature shooting and I PREFER it over the DVX, simply because of what the LONG lens on the GL2 permits me to do. I can't get 1/2 of the shots with the DVX that the GL2 gets me. Additionally, if shooting handheld, the optical stabilizer on the GL2 performs markedly better than the one on the DVX. Accessories and filters for the GL2 are also MUCH less expensive. To get a W/A or TELE adapter for the DVX, you're looking at spending TWICE what they cost for the GL2.

However...

This is where my prefence for the GL2 ends.

Once you figure in the current cost of a GL2 with rebate (>$1,750), the WD-58H ($180), and the MA-300 XLR adapter ($180), which I consider the bare MINIMUM accessories, then you're within about $800, give or take, from the price of a new DVX. Now factor in the soft-ish edges and prominent barrel distortion using the WD-58. With the WD attached you get a wider shot than the DVX lens alone, but it's not a huge difference -- 28mm v. 32mm. However, the nice Leica Dicomar lens on the DVX has zero distortion, does not flare much by comparison, and does not have the soft edges that the GL2/WH58 has.

Additionally, the MA-300 is unbalanced and, while it works great and looks good, is a plastic accident waiting to happen. $180 for that plastic toy is an insult.

Some of the nicer features of the DVX over the GL are the smooth IRIS control (choppy manual aperture adjustment on the GL), and a dedicated button for most critical adjustments whereas the GL has only two assignable controls and a paucity of dedicated controls.

Add to this true 30p and 24p, slightly better image quality, MUCH better low light ability, a 3.5" "big screen" LCD, and slightly better construction as well as the ability to MF and Zoom simultaneously, and the advantages really begin to pile up.

Did I mention that I **LOVE** my GL2? Unfortunately, it has only run about seven (7) hours of tape since new ;-(
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #8
New Boot

Brendan,

Which camcorder handles better--weight/size comparisons would be nice? I have been unable to get my hands on the Pana.

Thanks.
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Once you add the WD-58, Century matte box, MA-300, and XLR shotgun plus BP945 you're well beyond what the DVX100 weighs alone. However, both are so small that they're easily handled.

A bare GL2, however, is noticeably lighter and less bulky and is easier to handle.
Old September 9th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #10
New Boot

Many thanks for the insightful notes.

One question for dvx users. Brendan states above "if shooting handheld, the optical stabilizer on the GL2 performs markedly better than the one on the DVX." Has anyone else noticed this?

I will be shooting handheld quite a bit for a documentary and wanted to know how big a difference there is between the two stabilization systems.
Old September 9th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The IS difference is more noticeable when zoomed in. When wide, there is little difference.
Old September 11th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #12
Trustee

A big difference between these two cams are in their fields of view- the DVX100 has a very wide angle field of view as opposed to the GL2...if your documentaries require allot of wide angle shooting the DVX may be the ticket- if however you value the ability to zoom way out- you wont find anything better than the GL2...(except an XL1S and EF adapter with EOS lenses- but that's a whole 'nother story!!)
Video quality is great from either camera (I have owned both)....

.....have fun.

(PS- batt. life is much better on the GL2- the DVX eats batteries like crazy)
Old September 11th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Quote:
Which camcorder handles better--weight/size comparisons would be nice? I have been unable to get my hands on the Pana.
I can answer this question. Both the GL2 and DVX100 are very well balanced and easy to grip and hold. Furthermore, the PV-DV953 is another cam with sound ergonomics. I found that the VX2000/PD150 and TRV950/PDX10 are not---though they're 'touted' as hand-helds.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

DVX or GL2

I've had a GL1, and GL2, and now own a DVX.

Yes, the DVX is more money- and for many this is quite important and relavent. But in general you get what you pay for.

The image on the DVX is obviously superior, in any mode, 24P especially versus 30fps frame on the GL2. Its a no brainer. Sharper, better color, much more flexible in terms of adjustments, better sound unquestionably.

I have not noticed any worse stabilization on the DVX, its excellent.

Yes, its a pound heavier, and has less zoom. For me, this makes no difference. What I am mostly concerned with is the best image possible, and the DVX is shoulders above, and obvious to anyone with a good eye. The difference is easily seen on a normal 19" TV set.

If you want a lightweight, point and shoot camera, and pro-image is not critical, the GL2 is a fine camera for projects, family, weddings, etc. NOTE HOWEVER, I had to send my GL1 camera in for repair much sooner than I would have expected when the LCD stop working- not abused either. Extended warranty is a must.

Neil
Neil Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #15
Regular Crew

All I can say is I've had my gl2 for only 3 months and its already acting stupid on me so at this time I would definately get rid of it and save for something else. Today I was filming and the colors went from a whitish color to a redish tint. didn't understand it at all. My zoom is also not working right It zooms really slow when I push it all the way down on the zoom grip or it keeps zooming in after i let go. I have no clue how to fix this. These cameras don't seem to hold up too well for what your paying.
David Woodland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders