DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Threaded tripod screw-hole has come unfastened.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/141431-threaded-tripod-screw-hole-has-come-unfastened.html)

Nick Lloyd January 12th, 2009 12:28 PM

Threaded tripod screw-hole has come unfastened..

Hi everyone.. Have been reading this wonderful forum for some time, and have finally been moved to post a thread myself!

My GL2 is about 5 years old and has served me quite well. Last night however, I attached and then removed a Beachtek DXA-4P unit from its underside.. Upon removal, I was dismayed to find that the threaded screw-hole piece that the DXA-4P (and also any tripod plate) attaches to was somehow pulled free and now hangs loose in the camera body. This of course makes it close to impossible to attach a tripod plate, the DXA-4P etc. It looks like I could unscrew those tiny screws on the bottom and -maybe- fix it, but I'm a bit leery about that.. So I made my repair request with Canon and will most likely be sending it out tonight.

I guess I have several questions:

1. Has this ever happened to anyone on here?

2. Has anyone been able to repair this problem, themself?

3. Anyone have an idea of the damage Canon would charge to fix this? I also will be having them check for the dreaded "remove cassette" message because I get that every time I stop and rewind a tape.

I guess that's that! I'm just reeling from such a stupid (yet crucial) thing breaking on my camera, and am wanting to talk about it.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Alex Pineyro January 12th, 2009 03:09 PM

I have a friend whose GL2 suffered from the same illness. Problem was he didn´t gave it importance, and the loose metalic part shorted a few components making the camera unusable.

It is something really easy to fix, but not for the faint of heart.

Good thing you are repairing it. Hopefully they´ll put a drop of loctite on the screws.

Cheers

James Holtzman June 14th, 2009 02:04 PM

Threaded tripod screw-hole has come unfastened..

Removing the bottom plate from a GL2 is not difficult at all. If I remember right, there are four phillips screws on the bottom of the plate and two more screws under the lens barrel. The plate is of a cast metal, aluminum or pot metal. I see two options here, either purchase the plate new from Canon's parts department, either in LA or New Jersey, or repair the plate.

Since I have a machine shop, my solution is easy. I would repair the plate. I also remember three small phillips screws around the 1/4-20 nut. Did the screws fall out? Did they get sheared off? The solution might even be some epoxy, after you remove the plate from the camera.

I don't recall how much room there is inside the camera. Another solution is to have someone with machine shop skills replace the 1/4-20 socket with a rivnut or nutsert, which is a threaded insert, usually gives superior threads than the original.

If you need help from me on this, emptech@netzero.net, I'll probably get spammed even more for doing this, but if I can help you. I know this thread is months old.

Jim