DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   I have a speck on the inside of my new GL2 lens. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/14177-i-have-speck-inside-my-new-gl2-lens.html)

Kat Eiswald September 5th, 2003 11:55 PM

I have a speck on the inside of my new GL2 lens.

Help!

I have just got my new baby in the mail for an overseas shoot scheduled in two weeks.

I discovered a speck on the inside of the lens....do I have to return it for this?!

Is there some way to get it out?

Will check back tomorrow...thank you.

Kat

Ken Tanaka September 6th, 2003 01:00 AM

Are you sure it's inside the the lens or is it inside the viewfinder? If the former, there's nothing you can do. If the latter, see your manual for instructions on dusting out the viewfinder eyepiece.

Kat Eiswald September 6th, 2003 01:18 AM

manufacturer's specks.

Ken thanks for your promptitude. I wish it was in the view finder! But no, there it is when you stare into the lens; just on the otherside out of reach...crazed with impatience, i almost took a jewlers screwdriver to it.

It is the time thing you know. I think that since it is toward the outer 25% of the 'second diamater', I would take it out and catch some footage tomorrow and then upload and scrutinize it.

I have a terrific dealer (methinks) so the return/replace isn't the issue. It is that I am leaving for Buenos Aires, and i would not want to think what else could be wrong with the replacement.

So would you shoot/scrutinize under these demands?

Thanks again!

KAT

Graham Bernard September 6th, 2003 01:34 AM

3 checks:

1 - Do you see the speck on the flip-out LCD and the Eyepiece?

If yes to both it points towards a lens speck OR a filter speck OR other CCD block issue.

If not:

2 - Is the speck only on the eyepiece or LCD flip-out?

Eyepiece: If yes this points to either a speck on the outside of the eyepiece OR on the reverse side of the eyepiece - Go to Manual for procedure.

LCD Flip-out:

Clean LCD flip-out - consult manual

3 - Are you using a filter? If you "rotate" the filter does the speck move?

If yes then the speck has to be on the filter - clean filter - both sides too! I've forgot to do this in the past! - If you are using a filter I've had a slight speck either "within" the glass of the filter or it was a tiny "chip" in the filter glass itself. Replace filter.

If after you've checked through all this AND it is pointing towards lens or CCD block, then think and ACT on the the unthinkable - It's a new cammie . . . easy decison! - IMHO it won't be this fundamental error. Yes, we've had people on this forum with "suspect" CCD or lens issues. But I can't remember what their respective outcomes were.

Hope this helps,

Grazie

Ken Tanaka September 6th, 2003 01:46 AM

Being inside the lens, and if it's very small, it's unlikely to cause much trouble with your image. But if the camera's brand new, exchange it and let Canon deal with the problem. It's a workmanship defect.

Kat Eiswald September 6th, 2003 01:57 AM

sigh...

thank you Ken. I wish I didn't hafta.

Kat Eiswald September 6th, 2003 02:26 AM

decisions decisions.

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : 3 checks:

1 - Do you see the speck on the flip-out LCD and the Eyepiece?
Nope, right on the lens. the inside one.

If yes to both it points towards a lens speck OR a filter speck OR other CCD block issue.

NUT I don't "See" it on the LCD. But i can test further in sinlight et al...and upload I think.

If after you've checked through all this AND it is pointing towards lens or CCD block,

I guess that's my question. Because after I use it on this shoot-no return.

then think and ACT on the the unthinkable - It's a new cammie . . . easy decison!

I guess it is. I hope the replacement isn't 'worse'in any way because then I'm outta time...

Hope this helps,

thanks

KAT

Jeff Donald September 6th, 2003 04:00 AM

Dust inside the lens is an inevitable occurrence.. Zoom lenses, because of their construction, can not be made air tight. Over the life of your camera dust will inevitably invade your lens. The good news is, it will not effect the quality of your video.

I have several 35mm lenses with dust specs in them. It is the by-product of spending hours upon hours of time in the field pursuing wildlife and landscape images. When I use these same telephoto lenses on my XL1 with the EF adapter no image degradation can be seen.

I can certainly understand your disappointment and dismay upon discovering this slight imperfection with your new camera. Myself, I wouldn't give it a second thought, based upon my past experience. However, given your impending travel plans, I would use your present camera, assuming it functions normally in every other aspect. If you still find the dust bothersome after your trip, return the camera to Canon for service.

Graham Bernard September 6th, 2003 04:07 AM

Good point Jeff! - I'll remember this.

Grazie

Brad Higerd September 6th, 2003 03:43 PM

I bought a new GL2 with something in the lense. I returned it for a replacement without any problems. When mankind is involved, things will ALWAYS be less than perfect.

The replacement has been great!

Sirak Solomon September 6th, 2003 03:47 PM

I had a similar issue with my new GL2. I sent it in for an exchange (I'm still waiting for a replacement).

See link below.

http://207.68.164.250/cgi-bin/linkrd...goto%3dnewpost

Frank Granovski September 6th, 2003 04:32 PM

Sirak, I put in the URL codes and then tried to view the link. It didn't work. Perhaps you can re-copy the link and edit your post. Thanks.

Kat Eiswald September 6th, 2003 05:31 PM

my issue is time

Guys thanks for all the feedback...

if this wasn't a documentary feature shoot, i wouldn't sweat the speck...

If I didn't have only the prescribed amount of time for a return turnaround before i leave for Argentina...I would simply return/wait.

But weighing the options, I decided to test it this weekend and see if it is 'impossible to work with' . I'm shooting tonight and tomorrow morning with slanty sunlight. If "all i see is the speck" on the upload-it goes back. If I can't find the speck, or it makes a cool rainbow in the morning or something, I take it to BA and start worrying about other things.

But an inspector at the end of manufacturing process seems like a logical solution that would save Canon money on returns/refurbishing equipement....

it goes back to remove the speck afterwards even if it is no big deal...

thank you boys,

KAT

Jeff Donald September 6th, 2003 08:59 PM

The spec was probably dislodged in shipment. It unfortunately settled on an optical surface. No amount of inspection can eliminate all defects.

Kat Eiswald September 6th, 2003 09:50 PM

test accomplished.

so I took the baby through a 'mini' shoot test today. In all conditions including dark corner of laundry with a slow movement and slanty 6 o clock sun, I couldn't see the speck on upload. But I noticed I get dark corners on the wide angle half of the "zoom" when my new cheapo wide angle is used.

So the verdict is: She gets to go to Buenos Aires...thanks to the neurosis neutralizing opinions and the test.
now I just need to find a set of 58 filters...

Great site. glad I joined up.

Un Abrazo
(all the best)