DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Low Light Problems GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/142086-low-light-problems-gl2.html)

Michelle Genrich January 21st, 2009 11:28 PM

Low Light Problems GL2

I've encountered low light issues in instances of virtually unlit rooms or candlelight ceremonies. I've tried a number of manual settings and am coming up drawing a blank on what to do in extreme low light. We recently purchased professional lighting to cure some of the problem but there are those who insist on keeping the light virtually too low to record anything. We did a job this last weekend where they wanted video of the crowd but did not want any lighting. Result= noise even with manual settings.

Any suggestions on how to tweak the manual settings or should we just refuse jobs where it's virtually hard to see anything even with the naked eye?

Graham Bernard January 22nd, 2009 12:34 PM

A] Lighting

B] Gain

C] Post

D] Closeups using the Candles or any lighting you are allowed to use

E] Hire an alternative camera with a bigger than 1/4" Chip and add this hire cost to the bill! Simple! Never turn work down - if you can avoid it?

Grazie

Don Palomaki January 24th, 2009 12:55 PM

If better lighting is out of the question:

1. Be sure the client is aware of the limitations of shooting in poor light. Show examples to manage their expectations.

2. Once you run out of stop, try a slower shutter and live with the motion artifacts.

3. Be sure not to use high amounts of zoom that result in losing lens speed.

4. Use as much gain as you feel you can get away with.

5. Use a noise removal software in post; e.g., Neat Video.

6. Look into a camcorder that can do a bit better in low light such as the VX2100/PD170.

Michelle Genrich January 27th, 2009 07:18 AM

Thank you

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the slower shutter but did have to change it back when people were dancing. I will try Neat Video first. Thanks again.

Don Palomaki January 27th, 2009 06:15 PM

A low wattage camcorder light, maybe 10 watts, can make a difference and yet not be excessively intrusive.

Michelle Genrich January 29th, 2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1002199)
A low wattage camcorder light, maybe 10 watts, can make a difference and yet not be excessively intrusive.

I do have the on-camera lighting and professional lighting and use it where it's allowed. My problem arose when I had to tape people without lighting per the customer (most of them were dancing) in a virtually unlit room while we had to zoom in for the shot and adjust manual settings which didn't work very well. We tried every adjustment possible in Premiere Pro and that didn't fix the issue either.

Neat Video looks like it will most likely fix my issues and it's reasonably priced. $49 for home users and $99 for pro users. It's compatible with Premiere Pro and a number of other editing programs.

Don Palomaki January 29th, 2009 06:05 AM

And NeatVideo offers a trail version to test before you buy.

Michelle Genrich January 29th, 2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1003084)
And NeatVideo offers a trail version to test before you buy.

Neat Video looks like it will help us out on some of those overlit shots too. We've shot several stage shows where the in-place house lighting was too intense.

Graham Bernard January 31st, 2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Genrich (Post 1003149)
Neat Video looks like it will help us out on some of those overlit shots too. We've shot several stage shows where the in-place house lighting was too intense.

I have NV too. How does this help your stage shot? Would you mind posting a before and after. I'd like to learn this as well.

TIA,

Grazie

Michelle Genrich February 1st, 2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1004303)
I have NV too. How does this help your stage shot? Would you mind posting a before and after. I'd like to learn this as well.

TIA,

Grazie

I'm not saying it will help the "shot" itself, but if you check the Neat Video website, it appears to reduce intense light. If I post anything on before and after, it won't be for weeks yet.

Michelle Genrich March 10th, 2009 05:41 PM

Neat Video Before and After Snapshots

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got Neat Video up and running. Wow, what a difference.

Graham Bernard March 10th, 2009 10:16 PM

Hi Michelle! Thanks for remembering to post and show us the before and after - great!

Might I suggest that this shot would also benefit from some careful in-Post White Balance? Do you have the facilities to accomplish this?

Grazie

Michelle Genrich March 11th, 2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1025810)
Hi Michelle! Thanks for remembering to post and show us the before and after - great!

Might I suggest that this shot would also benefit from some careful in-Post White Balance? Do you have the facilities to accomplish this?

Grazie

Yes, I have the facilities to accomplish it. I put this one up because the contrast of the grain before using Neat Video and the result afterward. We did fix white balance in post. Thank you.

Todd Clark March 11th, 2009 12:32 PM

Don't forget to use a custom preset with your sharpness knocked down a few notches. This will help with noise tremendously.

Graham Bernard March 11th, 2009 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My crude attempts at WB-ing. BTW I asked and got Michelle's agreement to do this.

Grazie