UV or Clear filter and WD58H? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 7th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #1
Major Player

UV or Clear filter and WD58H?

Can a protection lens filter be left on between the lens and the WD58H without vignetting in the corners in full wide? If so is there a stop or color difference between a UV filter and clear? Tnx, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

yes but..

you want to get a thin filter. Some of the better makers create special thin mounts just for this purpose. I can't say there will be NO vignetting fully wide but I've used such filters and not noticed a problem.
Old September 7th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #3
Outer Circle

The adaptor itself offers protection to the cam's lens; to protect the adaptor, one without filter threads in front (which I would never consider), use a big, honkin' thick rubber lens hood, or a mat box.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 04:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you both for the info...In run and gun shooting senarios I find that I'm often putting an adapter on and taking it off frequently, so I'll look for a thin 58mm clear filter for the lens and deal with the on off screwing...re. The wide angle adapter...I understand that the Canon has no filter threads for a protective glass...is there another adapter of equal or better quality that you can recomend? I own 2 Century adapters...one for the XL1 and one for a DV500...both are not zoon through, and both don't have front filter threads either. Thanks, Craig Hollenback
Old September 8th, 2003, 04:42 AM   #5
Outer Circle

It's not a good idea to stick in a UV between the adaptor and lens, or put any filter in-between. However, if that's what you want to do, then I suggest the Hoya's high-end, ultra slim/multi-coated UV. The member, Bryan Beasleigh knows the one I'm talking about and where to get them. Perhaps e-mail him.

You may want to check out some of the Raynox adaptors, the ones I've seen all had filter threads. But I don't know if any of these are better than the WD58H.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #6
Major Player

thanks for the info

Appreciate your input...yes, I agree the filter in between is not a good practice...and it is a pain trying to unscrew the adapter without taking the filter along with it. I been finding that as mentioned, I need to do lots of quick changes...and I like to have a filter over the lens if possible. I'll check out that other WD adapter that you mentioned...and try to find one with a filter thread up front. I'll repost if I find and purchase one and give a review.Tnx, Craig
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Beware of over-tightening the UV filter when you screw on the wide-angle adapter!!! (I know from experience.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders