DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Where is "0 VU" for the GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/14285-where-0-vu-gl2.html)

John Fitch September 8th, 2003 09:00 PM

Where is "0 VU" for the GL2?

From looking through the GL2 manual, it appears as though -12 dB is the "0 VU" point for the GL2's audio circuitry. However, on much of the digital audio and video equipment I've worked with, the "0 VU", or 0 dB analog equivalent, is usually at -20 dB. That said, is Canon deviating from the norm, or does audio level scaling frequently deviate from one digital device to another?

Don Palomaki September 9th, 2003 04:37 AM

-12 dB for nominal "0" in analog terms is typical on consumer/prosumer gear. Profesional audio gear tends to run with more headroom.

Obviously the amount of headroom you need depends onthe progam material, and the noise floor of the gear sets an upper limit.

Kat Eiswald September 15th, 2003 12:07 PM

same topic similar question.

Hi.

Question on prosumer Audio:
Ok so for my primative audio tracking i record on stereo 1 in 12bit...
then I move it to stereo 2 in post...

When it concerns the noise floor (live event/doc stuff) do I have to do addition when considering the layered tracks? Do I want to be extremely conservative and set the input lower for these?

and would there be benefit to a mixed voice/music capture to recordi on 'voice+stereo 1' and then moving it to just 'stereo 1' on a tape transfer? Or would any improvement on this sort of sound isolation be lost/minimal?

I do have a super-cartoid shotgun coming in the mail. Is it preferable to capture with both onboard mic while the shotgun is hotshoe mounted or is there some delightful unknown result which i would discover at a very convienent time like the middle of a shoot?

Any and all informed advice is welcome.

Kat Eiswald September 15th, 2003 12:11 PM

corrections to my last post.

Not hotshoe mounted...just mounted and miniplugged in.

And I DO want to use onboard mic...at the same time, for stereo fill.

Basically do i need to double the expected noise floor.

again cheers.

Federico Dib September 15th, 2003 12:38 PM

KAT:

I donīt think you can use an external mic and the on-board mic at the same time in the Gl2.

But If Iīm mistaken Iīd love to hear how can you do it... as I would love to be able to do that...

For the rest of your post. Mmmmm I donīt have a clue of what are you talking about... so I canīt help there...
(I really need to update my technical english definitions...)

Kat Eiswald September 15th, 2003 01:03 PM

Hola Fred.

YOU KNOW- The options on the two audios: 1 and 2.

You can move something recorded in stereo 1 to 2 in editing even with primative software...

and( correction will come swift if i am wrong ) you can record with stereo1 in "voice + stereo1" and have a little stereo input and a little shotgun focus. But it doesn't move to stereo 2 IN stereo because the voice will convert to Mono...on one side.

So the guy speaking in the middle of the screen would sound like he was talking in your right ear...

and that would be a big "oops"

Spain. cool.

Federico Dib September 15th, 2003 04:27 PM

OK... Now I get what you mean (I think)... So that would be something like Stereo 1 (left channel) and Stereo 2 (right channel) right?

And you want to record stereo fill with the onboard mic... and the voice with a mono shotgun to be in the "center" (meaning both channels at the same time and level)?

But I still donīt think that in the GL2 you can record using the onboard and a shotgun at the same time... At least not that I know...
Quote:

So the guy speaking in the middle of the screen would sound like he was talking in your right ear...

and that would be a big "oops"
You can allways frame all your characters to the right side of the screen so thereīs no "ooops"... :-)
I guess youīll have to do like me... record the fill afterwards and mix them in post... although in a very silent room using the on board mic could give you a nice little "motor noise"...

Kat Eiswald September 15th, 2003 04:30 PM

hey what do I know?