DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   wireless lav mics ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/14367-wireless-lav-mics.html)

Jan Nowina Zarzycki September 10th, 2003 01:47 PM

wireless lav mics ?

Hello,

I am looking for a wireless lav microphone to purchase very soon to work with my GL2.
It seems that many people are suggesting Sennheiser EW122; B&H has three types of these in stock with ME4 microphone (they are out of stock for the same models with ME2 microphone).
The models are: A 518 - 550 MHz, B 630 - 662 MHz and C 740 - 772 MHz. I wonder what is the difference between them (beside obvious MHz) and how it translates into everyday operation. Also is there a difference between ME2 microphone and ME4 ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jan NZ

Michael Sibbernsen September 10th, 2003 03:59 PM

With VHF transmitters (54-216 MHz), you need to verify that the frequencies on your equipment does not match local television channels (within about a 50 mile radius) or you can get some serious interference.

The Sennheiser units you are looking at are UHF (470-890 MHz), and less susceptible to like interference since there are significantly less transmissions in this frequency range. Anyway, you have the ability with any of these units to switch to a different frequency if you get any interference or happen to have someone with wireless the vicinity on the same channel.

So, A B or C would probably be fine.

MS

Andres Lucero September 10th, 2003 05:40 PM

I have two EW100's and they work well, although I had to buy an XLR adapter to use both of them at the same time. I believe the difference between mics is that the ME2s are omnidirectional, while the ME4s are not.

Jan Nowina Zarzycki September 10th, 2003 09:01 PM

Thank you Michael and Andreas, that is very helpful.
One more question for Andreas - reading specs on EW 100 I thought they come with a minijack (1/8) - did you have to use a XLR convertor and then MA300 ?
Jan NZ

Andres Lucero September 11th, 2003 01:45 AM

They came with both a mini-jack cable and an XLR cable. I need to mix two mics on separate channels, so I plug the receivers into the XLR adapter from SignVideo, and plug the adapter into the microphone jack of the GL2.

Jeff Klein September 16th, 2003 09:31 PM

Doesn't matter if you have UHF or VHF: you still have to check the local channel frequencies to ensure there are no conflicting frequencies that will cause interference (plus it's illegal to transmit on a local TV channel frequency). You can call any of the local TV stations and ask for the station's Frequency Coordinator (or similar) who can tell you what frequencies should be avoided.

Sennheiser's 3 models (a fourth, D, is for Canada) are specific ranges. With Digital TV channels gaining momentum, there is still a good chance you may have interference if you're not careful. The good news is, each grouping (A, B, C) has 1280 user selectable frequencies, 4 of which can be saved at a time.

The ME2 is an omni-directional mic, the ME4 is a cardioid version. Omni pick up sound in all directions and are less susceptible to handling noise, breath pops, and wind rumble. Cardioids are directional to cut out unwanted surrounding noise, require more exact placement, and don't do well in wind or if the cable is apt to be rubbed or bumped.

Jeff

Jan Nowina Zarzycki September 16th, 2003 11:22 PM

Thank you Jeff, that's very comprehensive and helpful information. I'll look for the "D" version since I'm in Canada.
Any places that I may buy it cheaper than B&H price?
Jan NZ

Jeff Klein September 20th, 2003 02:49 PM

B&H's price is below most prices you'll see for that unit. The only place I know of that beats it is Northern Sound and Light, but they don't ship to Canada. It's about $45 cheaper there, but that's not worth a drive to Pennsylvania <G>.

Jeff