DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Custom Key Choices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/14370-custom-key-choices.html)

Roland Barth September 10th, 2003 02:41 PM

Custom Key Choices

Just trying to learn all the settings and shooting methods of my new GL2 and could use some advice on which Custom Key to set up for the TAPE+CAMERA mode.
I will shoot almost exclusively in the woods and want to be able to set up to shoot as quickly as possible, and I probably want to save battery power (I did get a BP 930 equivalent for my primary battery).
I have tentatively set the key up for "VCR Stop" to support saving power (p. 36 of the manual). Is that the most useful use of the Custom Key for my needs?
Thanks
Roland

Andres Lucero September 10th, 2003 05:59 PM

I keep mine on zebra pattern because I like to check for over-exposure quickly while shooting. In another recent thread, someone (Ken Tanaka?) said he does the same thing. Of course, you should set your custom key based on what YOU prefer, since it's your camera. Only you know what you're shooting and which tools you'll need to use most often.

As a warning, though, VCR Stop is actually the opposite of what you want (power-saving function). In VCR Stop mode, the camera remains on, but it "un-pauses" the tape so that you don't wear down the heads. To save battery life, you'll want to use the Shut Off setting instead.

Roland Barth September 10th, 2003 06:47 PM

Thanks.
The instructions on p. 36 were somewhat confusing (at least for me) in terms of what saves battery power.

Ken Tanaka September 10th, 2003 07:01 PM

Yes, indeed, I use my custom key to activate/deactivate the zebra display for exposure checks. SInce the alternative is to walk through a menu, it seems like the only practical choice.

Perhaps the most practical action for saving power is to set the camera to use VCR Stop when it times-out while idle. This cuts power to the tape transport but leaves the lens and viewfinder/lcd on. Using the viewfinder rather than the lcd also saves power. Using the Standby/Lock lever to completely power-down in between shots preserves the camera's current settings while saving gas. It also wakes the camera up quicker than the on/off switch. Lastly, minimizing use of the zoom servo will probably do the most to conserve battery power. Trombone shooting uses a great deal of power.

Roland Barth September 10th, 2003 07:27 PM

Thanks Ken.
Since only one custom key function is available, I thought about using it for the VCR STOP, which can only be operated by this key. But maybe I should keep it simple and use the standby lever.
One other quick question about power: I charged both of my batteries -- the yellow light on the charger never changed from a steady yellow -- both work but neither shows a black bar (100%) on the LCD as on p. 137; they both show no bar at all. What am I missing?
Thanks

Ken Tanaka September 10th, 2003 08:31 PM

Hmmm...the fact that the battery's level will not display on the camera, and that it does not reflect a full charge in the charger, suggests that it may be damaged. I'd recommend replacing it before you head into a shoot where you'll really be s.o.l. if it craps out. Drops and sharp knocks can irreparably damage these batteries.

If you can swing it, go for a BP945-class battery from Power 2000 or Lenmar. They're both excellent brands and run forever.

Roland Barth September 11th, 2003 09:09 AM

Just spoke to two seprate people at Canon about this. They claim that the battery is fully charged when the icon is white inside, not black as on p. 137. Is that correct?
I just noticed, after having the battery on for a while, that a black bar is starting to form from the left, i.e. where the battery nipple is. Again, is that what others have on their GL2?
I can live with the reversal of black and white in this icon, but then I hope there are no other problems with the firmware.
Roland

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2003 10:05 AM

Welcome to the WACKY World OF User Manual GraphiCs!! - Here you'll find an amazing assortment of . .well . .. unscripted reasons! - Yes in my Manual [ XM2 PAL ] the remining battery condition is a Black Bar too - and yes in my viewfinder the remaining battery condition is White! - This has to be a Printing necessity - can't be other . .

Grazie

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2003 10:10 AM

. . . come to think about, all the "Viewfinder" Manual images are reversed out too! - All printed in Black, while in actuallity they appear White in the viewfinder - guess I took it as read that this has to be becasue the Manual is Printed on White paper. Okay, Manual should come with a footnote "All the information . . . [ blah blah ] . . is seen in reverse in the viewfinder . . .

Grazie

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2003 10:21 AM

Roland - I just re-read your Battery Nipple and Emerging Black Bar. The nipple is a graphic employed to designate a +tive pole on a battery terminal - I think this graphic is universally employed. Seen inside any battery required gizmo? You'll see this graphic there too. Okay, so regarding the +tive as being the "uppermost" part of a battery, that which is furthest "away" from the top of the battery, ie towards the "base" of the battery indicates running towards "empty" OR the base of the battery. That which is apparent towards the "top" of the battery - that is towards the +tive graphic is FULL. So, further away from the nipple is low, nearest towards the nipple is full.

Simple put you need to have the battery completely WHITE in the eyepiece to tell/indicate to you that the battery is full. When the white stars to dissappear you are using the battery, simple as that. In fact it isn't Black at all, it is transparent . . It is only apparent as transparent IF you've got the lens cap OFF. If you've got the lens cap ON of course you will see "Black" - just thought of that . . . Ha!

Hope this helps . . never written this down before . . .

Grazie

Roland Barth September 11th, 2003 02:19 PM

Multo gracias, Grazie.
How did we get into "full nipples" and all that?
Let me just end this thread by relating my complaint to my Canon Pro90IS digital camera, which shows a full battery as black in the LCD and progressively whiter as it runs down -- and they were somehow able to print the manual to show the same. It seems to me that Canon may have rushed their manual for the GL2 to print. Their (English) instructions seem to be of lesser quality (and clarity) when compared to the manual for my Pro90. It's all about cutting costs, I guess.
Thanks to all who responded.
Roland

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2003 02:42 PM

"where the battery nipple is" - you said it!

"my Canon Pro90IS digital camera" - Can't comment on this - don't have or the manual. But there again stills photographers do it in Negative - I understand?

You're welcome . . enjoyed writing it . .

Grazie

Lloyd Roseblade September 11th, 2003 04:13 PM

<---------------- searching for nipples on his camera :)

I'll probably be swapping between the Zebra Pattern and the Mic Attentuator as a Custom Key setting (depending on whether I'm filming family events or wildlife).

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2003 11:32 PM

"whether I'm filming family events or wildlife" - Same thing, isn't it!?! - ;-)

Grazie

Lloyd Roseblade September 12th, 2003 05:56 AM

lol - It's certainly a very, very thin line between the two (especially where my three and one year olds are concerned) :D