DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Dropped, Battery Case, Cracked it - DIY - Repair? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/14526-dropped-battery-case-cracked-diy-repair.html)

Graham Bernard September 14th, 2003 04:47 PM

Dropped, Battery Case, Cracked it - DIY - Repair?

Title says it all! Any thoughts? - Battery still functions. Just a crack along one edge.

ANy DIY solutions? Glue, Gaffa tape, Super Glue, Epoxy resins - SPIT!

Grazie

Steve Nunez September 14th, 2003 08:23 PM

Use some CA (cyanoacrylate glue) available at hobby shops everywhere- they have various grades from thin to gap filing thick formulas- use whatever works for that crack- to speed drying- get some accelerator while you're there! Trust me CA is super glue in it's truest form! It wont break there again.

Graham Bernard September 15th, 2003 12:13 AM

Steve, excellent! So CA or SG is the way to go? - I don't know of an accelerator or cyanoacrylate glue here in the UK - we do have Super Glue though. The crack is quite clean, and runs along the "slide" groove. Will the SG effect anything inside the battery pack itself?

Grazie

Jack Robertson September 15th, 2003 03:23 AM

We (the Aussies) use 5 minute areldite. It's excellent for things like this, it dries clear and works out to be harder than the plastic on the battery pack.

I have found glues like super glue tend to crack under certain stresses associated with heat and or mostiure.

Jack

Don Palomaki September 15th, 2003 03:38 AM

I probably would try epoxy, but more to the point, check to be sure the battery takes and holds a charge. Be around when it first recharges to be sure it does not heat out of control. And be sure you have a good supply of spares. The fall may have shortened its life significantly.

Graham Bernard September 15th, 2003 03:52 AM

Good points, Jack & Don. I'll take heed of your sound advice. I'm getting to the point where I might just ditch the battery in the correct manner and obtain a replacement.

A salutory experience . . .mmmmm .. .

Grazie

Jack Robertson September 15th, 2003 04:07 AM

Graham,

I wouldn't throw the battery out unless I tried it first. It may well be working perfectly. When you first charge it, monitor the heat... if it heats up too hot it may have a problem, if it doesn't heat up unusually, just use it and see how long it lasts in your camera, if it seems normal, then it is likely to be fine.

Jack

Jeff Donald September 15th, 2003 05:50 AM

The effects of dropping your battery may not be readily apparent for days, weeks or even months. The damage my be minor, such as reduced life or overall performance and discharge times. However, a drop severe enough to crack the case could cause severe internal damage. Even charging the battery risks damage to your charger. The battery could severely damage your camera. Internal components could be damaged (cracked) and yet not fail for several months. My advice is to dispose of the battery properly.

Steve Nunez September 15th, 2003 08:46 AM

If it's a thin crack and clean- i'd go to the hobby shop and use "thin" CA and accelerator (kicker)......I can almost gurantee it will work perfectly and never break there again!! Takes all of 1 minute to implement the fix.