Sound settings for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 14th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sound settings for GL2

Alright it's time to put this horse to rest.

I have the GL2, MA300 and the Samson M32 wireless lav mic and receiver. I've read the manuals and searched the forums but can't get a clear answer to what settings should I use.

My options are:

On the GL2: Mic Att on or off
On the Samson M32: -30, -20, -10dBm's.
Now if I'm running the M32 into the MA300 via the mini-XLR then what setting should I be using. And whats all this Mic level and Line level inputs stuff?

Thanks for the help everybody,

Scott
Scott Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Im new at this myself, so bare with me. I dont have the exact same equipment, but from what I can gather. Mic Att is set to off. I assume your -30, -20, -10 is the sensitivity on the wireless mics, but I could be wrong(I dont have that mic). I set mine to 10 or 15 most of the time if thats what your asking. Use Manual setting(switch) for sound on the side of the cam. Use mic is ususall set higher than line. Use Mic. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Hopefully some of the other experts can shed some more light with your wireless.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:45 AM   #3
Wrangler

I would try the wireless mic output at -30, if that setting corresponds to -30 dBV output. And I would set the GL2 to MIC ATT, which should correspond to around -30 dBV input sensitivitiy. If that works well for you, great. If the level is too low, then try the wireless at -20 and so on before changing the input sensitivity of the GL2 to MIC.
Old September 15th, 2003, 04:09 AM   #4
Old Boot

Don - excellent and clear advice.

I did a wedding shoot on Saturday. I used your tip about setting the Mic ATT ON for the very VERY noisy disco dance sequences. This reduced the "noise" levels remarkably, when viewed on a full deck and large TV, with the Boss. I was very pleased withe results and yout hint.

My question is this: Why is the Mic ATT setting within the VCR menu? Why isn't it within the Camcorder Setup menu? I really don't expect you to answer this - I'm presuming you aren't a Canon techie?

Anyway, went to VCR setup and Mic ATT ON and it worked. Believe me, if I hadn't the sound would have been awful!

As a footnote, and because I use the V3watt tiny lamp - good for 3-4 foot PLUS the disco lights - I was using the XM2 onboard mic - worked like a dream.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm a little worried about using the MIC ATT. I typically have a Senn ME66/K6 (red dot) on board and a Samson UM32 wireless set at -30 with Senn 835 mic at the band or DJ speaker. Sometimes, audio is too hot but I've had audio to soft to fix in post. To dangerous to test at a wedding...any thoughts?
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #6
Wrangler

Best never to test on a paid, live shoot where there are no chance for retakes. Always test when it doen't matter. That said, stage a test. Not hard to do. Fiind some friends to play the wimpering bride, a tongue-tied groom, an overbearing preacher, and so on.

As to why on the VCR mode menu? Who knows.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

This thread saved me a lot of grief...

Thanks!

I was shooting a live Christmas concert for a choral/orchestral group I had shot this summer. When I arrived on Saturday, they told me the local WB affiliate wanted to air my footage on Christmas day!

So, they wanted me to get a line in from the sound board. I'm still pretty new to this, and had not done this with my GL2 before, but we got it set up. Problem was the sound coming in was too hot and very distorted (thank goodness I grabbed some headphones and checked levels, since it wasn't even close to pegging the meter on the display).

I ended up taping the house (as I had originally planned - they were more than happy with that from the summer concert). But I found this thread late Saturday night and found where the Mic ATT was. And thankfully they had a second show on Sunday afternoon. I was able to get a good feed, and now I'll also be able to mix in the applause from the house feed from Saturday's show.

I agree that it's best not to try this stuff for the first time on a paid job, but I had no time to do otherwise. Fortunately it looks like things will work out in the end.

Thanks again!
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:28 AM   #8
Old Boot

Oh yessshhhh that MIC ATT - good eh?!?!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Remember that MIC ATT is one of the presets you can assign to the Custom button on the side of your camera. That way you can easily turn it on and off as the conditions warrant (too much wind for example).

It is completely straight forward in that you have to press the button then make a menu choice with the wheel but it is simpler than drilling down through the menus.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 04:09 PM   #10
Trustee

Bob I don't know about your Samson mic, but you could always pad down the ME66 with it's own attenuator so that you can turn off MIC ATT and then have good signals with both mics. Alternatively and I think what I would do (So that noise is less) would be to preamp the quieter mic (Why not just use less attenutation on the wireless?) and then have MIC ATT on.

Would this not work for you?

Aaron
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:52 AM   #11
New Boot

Best is to keep the Mic ATT off and ride your levels. I always wear headphones to monitor the recorded audio, and ride the audio levels manually. Sometimes the Mic ATT circuitry can introduce a Pumping sound which is awful. Just keep an ear and eye on the audio levels and you should be fine.
Tony Singh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders