DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   what to do on windy days? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/14562-what-do-windy-days.html)

Torsten Blomfeldt September 15th, 2003 10:59 AM

what to do on windy days?

11 sept. I bought my Canon xm-2.

And so far I am very satisfied with the picture quality!

But the first day I use my new camera it was a quite windy day, and though I set the microfone in "w.screen" it was a very disturbing result, not good at all.

So what to do on windy days?

-----------------

I also consider to buy the DM-50 microfone, but can that microfone handle the problem with windy days better?

Graham Bernard September 15th, 2003 12:04 PM

I gave up on the XM2 audio presets and went for a Senni setup with a foam cover PLUS a windjammer-type fluffy. I use this in conjunction with the MA-300.

Grazie

Rob Wilson September 15th, 2003 12:17 PM

Torsten

I bought an inexpensive ($5.99) foam windscreen from Radio Shack (probably don't have a branch near you) and installed it over the GL2 onboard mic by using a tie wrap. I rarely use the onboard mic but it did help reduce wind noise significanlty. I can send a pic if you're interested.

Joris Beverloo September 15th, 2003 03:04 PM

MikeMuff

Last week I ordered a MikeMuff since I was also disturbed by the ppor sound quality on my XM2. A few days ago I received it. But...minor point...no wind the last few days so I could not test it lol. Hope tomorrow will be a little windy so I can update you my results.
It looks nice on my cam..it fits like a glove. And if it does what they promise on their site, I am very happy.

Don Palomaki September 15th, 2003 06:03 PM

Why not use a fan to test the MikeMuff?

Nicholi Brossia September 17th, 2003 01:21 PM

I went with a Rycote mini-windjammer. They make one that fits the GL2, but sent me a size medium instead (it seems to be a little bigger than the one indicated for the GL2 because it fit very sloppy). That actually turned out for the better because I realized that it fit perfectly over one of those Radio Shack foam windscreens, and then onto the GL2 mic. Today is a fairly windy day, blowing at a steady 20mph, so I just tested it and that combination seemed to work well. All I could hear was street noise and the russling of leaves in the trees.
This is a very simple, low budget (about $50) solution, but it works well for what I need.

nicholi

Ken Tanaka September 17th, 2003 01:30 PM

I second the vote for the Rycote mini-Windjammer. I just used mine this week to shoot a very short piece in a very windy setting. Although I'll not be using the audio from the footage I was really surprised at how good this fuzzy little mouse worked.

Rycote's larger muffs work extremely well for shotgun mics, btw.

Nicholi Brossia September 17th, 2003 09:51 PM

On an added note, using the Rycote over the GL2 mic makes the camcorder look a lot more presentable. Its strange that its just that little piece, but I noticed right away, as well as others who have commented.