DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Black ring cutting off corners (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/145896-black-ring-cutting-off-corners.html)

Chris Mier March 15th, 2009 06:56 PM

Black ring cutting off corners

What is the bes light to use with the GL2?

Don Palomaki March 17th, 2009 03:50 PM

Not sure of the question vs the title of the thread.

Dark corners can be indications of vignetting (e.g., due to a filter or adapter mounted on the camcorder) , or poor coverage of a light that does not have a beam as wide as the lens. In any case, there always is some brightness falloff toward the corners with any lens, but this usually is not apparent except with very flat subjects.

Which on-camera light is best will depend on the application (shooting situation), subjects, and the zoom range you intend to use. The trade-offs include brightness (reach), beam width and uniformity, weight, battery life, and bothering people who may be in or near the image at events.

Tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish with the light.

Chris Mier March 19th, 2009 08:56 AM

What I am looking for. . . two things!

1. A Light - I have read here that the GL2 is weak in low lighting settings. I have actually seen this in a video that I recorded, a black suit looked like TV static (especially on a HD LCD tv.) I am looking for a light that will perform well in a low light setting like a wedding reception or a poorly illuminated chapel during a ceremony.

2. Software - I am also trying to find a program that can crop video, can anyone help? ? ?

In regards to the title and the message, I originally posted another message and literally less than one minute after posting it I found a macro converter that stayed on when I took off my wide angle lens. So I was actually trying to change the title, but could not figure out how to do that!

Don Palomaki March 19th, 2009 06:02 PM

The GL2 is not bad in poor light, it actually does fairly well for its generation, it is just not the best of all possible low light SD camcorders (the VX2100/PD170 may well be the best from that generation).

You can improve the image noise by judicious use of settings when recording, and appicaiton of noise reduction filters (e.g., Neat Video) when editing, and of course, having adequate light when you shoot.

For wedding-like events, I've found that a small light, e.g, 10 to 20 watts can make a big difference. I've used a COOL-LUX Mini-Cool and a Sony HVL-20DW2, and hae been satisfied wit the results. But there are many lighting options available, and others may have different suggestions.

Graham Bernard March 20th, 2009 08:38 AM

The XM2 has a 1/4" sensor, the PD170 has a 1/3" sensor. And THAT is most of the difference, right there.

Grazie

Chris Mier March 23rd, 2009 07:12 AM

Why does the size of the sensor matter?

I am sure that in a year or so I will be thinking what you all are at my questions . . . BUT . . . Why does the size of the sensor matter?

AND . . . Do either of those fit the hot shoe on the GL2?

Any help you can give me is appreciated, preferably in very simple terms for this newbie.

Graham Bernard March 23rd, 2009 09:22 AM

The bigger the light sensor area, the more light that can be registered. No, you can not fix one onto the hotshoe.

Grazie

Don Palomaki March 23rd, 2009 06:03 PM

The larger the pixel (physical area) the more light energy it gathers. Kind of like a larger window lets in more light. Generally speaking, the larger the CCD or CMOS sensor, the larger the pixel for the same resolution.

However a 1/3" CCD for SD video (720x480 pixels) will have larger pixels than a 1/3" CCD for HDV (1440x1080 pixels) and other things being equal, will have higher sensitivity. But things may not always be equal when you factor in technology changes over time.

Michelle Genrich March 25th, 2009 01:51 AM

My first GL-2

My first GL2 came from buydig.com and I paid $2800 for the entire package. Even in the brightest lighting conditions, the corners are plagued by black corners. We were so busy at the time that it was impossible to send the camera back. I did call Canon to inquire if buydig was a valid distributor and a clear answer was never given. Now, that camera, although regularly used, is the last of 4 to be of service. It clearly is not a performer in low light situations whereas my other GL2s are. It has more noise than the other GL2s for one, and no matter what, the corners are always black when zooming in the full-back position.

Could it be a bad batch? Doubtful.....the factory wide-angle lens I ordered for my first GL2 won't even fit on the camera. It's clearly a bogus camera that now has to be dealt with.

Unless any of you here know some action a person can take after 3 years. That particular camera has been nothing but headaches. Apparently the same headache another person who is on this forum is experiencing.

It's unfortunate when the bogus cameras seep into the supposed traditional distributor lines.

Chris Mier March 25th, 2009 06:42 AM

Thanks Michelle

I actually figured out what the problem was after I started this thread. This was also after I had shot some footage of my son's science project and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't focusing at long distances. I was so embarassed when I found the macro adapter from my wide angle lens still screwed onto my lens. I didn't want to say what happened and I could not change the subject line, because the thread had been started and I did not know haw to end or change it. Hopefully I can still stay on the site and not be booted off for stupidity!

Sorry no conspiracy theory here. . .just stupidity!

Graham Bernard March 25th, 2009 10:15 AM

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and printed more to be totally sure. Foolish? Stupidity? You have wisdom beyond yer years dear boy!

I feel foolish for NOT suggesting this at the front end of this ( huh, front-end) - It is called vignetting, or at least a partial soft focus of vignetting of the barrel.

You are a great guy! But I wrote the book on being foolish . . . .

Grazie

Cole McDonald March 25th, 2009 10:50 AM

Being intelligent has nothing to do with being knowledgeable... that comes form experience, experience comes from screwing up! Dumb mistakes are the best teachers... and the way that every single member of this forum has learned as much as they know, you're in great company!

Don Palomaki March 27th, 2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

I did call Canon to inquire if buydig was a valid distributor
Distribution channels can be complex involving dealers (resellers) jobbers, distributors, importers, etc. Buydig is not likely a distributor, but maybe a reseller with no specific direct relationship with Canon at the end of a chain.

What does BBB have to say about Buydig?

Michelle Genrich April 12th, 2009 03:01 PM

Bbb

Never thought about BBB.

You should have seen the look on the face of the official Canon sales person when we couldn't get the official wide angle lens to fit on that camera. When I did buy my next official GL2, that lens fit on there just fine.'

What's amazing is the box the camera came in. It's a 100 percent replica of the official box.

Would think that maybe customs or someone would get involved in this kind of thing as I believe it's a counterfeit out of Asia.

Don Palomaki April 12th, 2009 06:47 PM

More reasons to deal with reputable dealers, such as Chris' sponors.