question for owners of both GL2 and DVX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 18th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

question for owners of both GL2 and DVX

I currently own a GL2 and although I've been very happy with it, I can't help dreaming of owning a DVX also.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but in reading some of the threads in this section it seems like a handful of people own both a GL2 and DVX100 (using the GL2 as a secondary cam), which leads me to my question...

When doing a two-camera shoot at an event with the DVX as the primary camera and the GL2 getting an alternate angle, is it difficult to get the footage to match up in post?

I'm guessing the true progressive modes on the DVX won't match up well with the frame mode on the GL2, but I'm wondering if regular 60i will look drastically different between the two cameras?

I have never owned a Panasonic camera but have some experience with Sony's and Canon's and the differences in color between sony and canon (even with white balancing) is very noticeable even to the average home viewer when cutting between the two cameras (without doing extensive color correction).
Krishna Narayanamurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 09:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Give me a little time. I just did a 2 camera wedding yesterday with the GL2 and DVC 80, which is representative of the 100 in 60i mode. I havent captured the footage yet.

I can tell you some things now however, based on some short tests comparing the same shots on the two cams.

-Although I can tell a difference in the sharpness of more distant objects between the two cams on the same shot, it is not really going to be noticeable on two different angled shots. For anything but close objects the DVC80 is actually a bit less sharp. However for close shots it is not. I would say generally the GL2 picture is a bit smoother in a good way but not really less sharp because of the distant object advantage the GL2 has.

-If is is a dimly lit scene you might pick up more grain on the GL2. The DVC does have better low light than the GL2 given the same settings.

-The big difference is going to be color. The panasonic has truer color representation of flesh tones for sure (since there is the pink shift with the cannon). Other colors I'm not as sure of. The green grass was quite under saturated on the panasonic compared to what my eye sees and to match the GL2 saturation will need to be boosted or just create a preset on the panasonic with boosted saturation. The GL2, in general may be just a bit oversaturated. At least for greens. I'm sure you can color correct the GL2 footage to match the Panasonic, maybe not perfectly but...I don't think you have to "perfectly" on something like a wedding. If you have white balanced both and you do basic matching on the GL2 in post, no one is going to notice if it is a bit different when you have two different angles. Now if you were shooting a movie or something it will be a bit more crucial, although I've seen TV shows where the camera matching was off.

Like I said I haven't tried to match the footage in post yet for dissolves between the two and it may be a couple weeks before I do but I can say more then.

Honestly the difference in picture with the DVC80 or the DVX100 in 60i mode isn't that great. If you are going to choose the DVX100 you should male the choice on other criteria. Battery life on the panasonic is not as good as GL2 and way not as good as Sony. XLR's and audio on the Panasonic is cool. It's a lot heavier than my GL2. No 20x zoom on the Panasonic.

Ok so basically...

advatage 80/100
-Better Flesh tones
-Better low light
-Better Audio with XLR's
-More sofisticated sontrols
-24p and progressive if you want it (DVX100)

advantage GL2
-20x lense
-a bit better sharpness in distant details
-longer battery life
-a lot lighter
-significantly cheaper

Additionally for you, since you already own the GL2 there is no learning curve and you can interchange accesories and batteries.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 02:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have gl2 and canon xl1s and I just got the dvx100 because it was the camera everyones been raving about. It cost almost 1k more then the gl2 (canon has a $250 rebate on gl2 till dec). Am I impressed? hmmmm maybe just a little. It will be a tougher camera to work with then the Gl2 for weddings.

Rob addressed most of the things here but here is my take

The Bad
I normally shoot all weddings in frame mode and I wanted to use the dvx100 in 24frame mode but in this mode you have no autofocus capability. You will have to manually focus.

The battery doesn't last that long as the gl2 or xl1s

According to manuel I can't use 80 minute minidv tapes

Image is only slightly better then the gl2

It doesn't have the zoom capability that gl2 has

Cost 1k more

The Good
It shoots true 24 frame

It has a wider angle lens then the xl1s or gl2

Good lowlight capability

You can tweak the hell out of this camera

Slightly heavier then gl2

It has xlr connections
BJ Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks, rob & bj. apprecaite the replies.
Krishna Narayanamurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I concur with these guys. Just got my DVX100, but am already having problems with it concerning drop outs, which I have never had with my GL1.

The DVX camera is a lot bigger than the GL1, that is for sure. It's a bit heavier to lug around.

I haven't seen any problems matching up frames however- I could see a problem if you did 24p with the DVX though.

Ted
Ted Banucci is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders