DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Analog to digital converter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/14722-analog-digital-converter.html)

Pepe Garcia September 19th, 2003 02:23 AM

Analog to digital converter

Hi, I'm writing from Spain. This is my question: I want to convert a VHS tape to a digital miniDV tape. I am following the instructions from XM2 manual (page 99) but the XM2 can not receive signal from the VCR. The procedure is very simple but in my case don't works. The VHS tape had not Macrovision protection.
I connect to the VCR by STV-250N cable and using an adapter to SCART out of VCR.

Please help

Where are the problem?

Sorry by my bad english

Federico Dib September 19th, 2003 07:23 AM

Bilingual Answer / Respuesta Bilingue...

En español primero / Spanish first:

A mi tampoco me funciona...
Creo que el problema está en el Adaptador del "famoso" Euroconector(SCART) que trae la cámara, y es que creo que solo funciona en una sola vía: ENTRADA por RCA y SALIDA por SCART. En algunas tiendas (FNAC por ejem) venden unos adaptadores iguales pero que tienen un pequeño interrumptor que dice IN/OUT... que cambia la dirección de la señal eso debería solucionar el problema...
Se de gente que han tenido problemas similares con los adaptadores para conectar la Playstation y la solución era algo por el estilo.
La otra solución que intentaría es si tienes TV con salida S-Video o RCA, que conectes el Video a la TV y de la TV a la cámara...

No garantizo nada... es solo una sugerencia. Aunque el adaptador no debe costar mucho.

In English Now:

It doesn´t work for me neither..
I think the problem is that the SCART Adapter that comes with the CAm only works one way IN from RCA - OUT to SCART. In some electronic shops they sale RCA to SCART adapters that have a switch IN/OUT that changes the flow of the signal. That should solve the problem.
I know people how have had simila problems with Playstations and the solution was something like that.

The other thing would be, if you have a TV with S-Video or RCA output, then try to connect the VCR to the TV, and the TV to the XM-2...

No guarantees though... just a suggestion.

Pepe Garcia September 19th, 2003 10:28 AM

Gracias Federico solucionado

Efectivamente, el adaptador para Eurconector (SCART) que viene con la XM2 es sólo de entrada y lo que se necesita es uno de salida. Lo he comprado con el interruptor IN-OUT y ya he conseguido meter la señal a la videocámara.

Vaya cara que tienen los de Canon te gastas 3000 euros en la cámara y accesorios y luego no te dan el euroconector correcto. Encima llamas al servicio técnico y no tienen ni jodida idea y la única solución que te dan es que les envies la videocámara.

Gracias Federico.

Jeff Donald September 19th, 2003 10:36 AM

Please keep the discussion in English and also provide a translation of the previous.

Federico Dib September 19th, 2003 11:59 AM

Quote:

Please keep the discussion in English and also provide a translation of the previous.
Yes sir!!!
(Sorry if it bothered someone, but I know how sometimes is very hard to find some information in spanish).

I´ll translate Pepe´s last post here (free of charge!):

"As a matter of fact the SCART adapter that comes with the XM2 has only IN enabled, and what is needed is one with OUT enabled. I bouhgt one with the IN/OUT switch and could get the signal in the CAM.

What a face these Canon people have (tipical spanish phrase). You go and spend 3000 euros in Cam and accesories and then they get the wrong SCART adapter. Then you call Canon´s service and they have no clue... and all they say is to send them the camera"...

Yes, you can say that... Canon service in Spain is not what you could call "good"... At least on video cameras. I think they only are trained to repair copier machines and Ink Jet printers.

I´ve mailed them a couple of times to see where you can get a VL-3 or VL-10 in Barcelona and haven´t got an answer.

Jeff Donald September 19th, 2003 04:06 PM

One of the major reasons for the forum is that this a community that shares information (free of charge!). It is of little benefit to the community, as a whole, if the majority of the members can't understand what is written.

Gints Klimanis September 19th, 2003 04:29 PM

I think threads in other languages should exist unless dvinfo.net is an English-only board.

Jeff Donald September 19th, 2003 04:42 PM

Without writing that English is the official and only language permitted, use of other languages are permitted at the forums moderators discretion and an English translation is provided. There are many reasons for this but one is posted above, the other is the liability of the boards owner. Moderators routinely delete or edit posts that could be harmful to the board owners and moderators. This topic has been discussed at the highest levels and there is little flexibility in this matter.

Federico Dib September 19th, 2003 08:45 PM

Quote:

It is of little benefit to the community, as a whole, if the majority of the members can't understand what is written.
Thats why I wrote the message in both, Spanish and English (the english part was at the bottom in case someone didn´t noticed it)...

And about Pepe´s spanish only post, well he is new to DVinfo so I guess that my Bilingual answer might have led him to think It was OK to post only in Spanish.

I actually didn´t know that it was not very welcome to do so... so thanks for informing that...

Just out of curiosity, how can posting in non-english could be harmful for the board owner or the moderators???

I´m asking this because I will be launching soon an international-bilingual (spanglish) site for DV short fiction related stuff (nothing fancy or big just a little non-profit on my spare time kind of site...) and It should have a forum, but I shure don´t want to get Into any trouble with anyone for this matter... but In my evergrowing ingnorance I can´t see any harm.

I guess this thread went off-thread.

Ken Tanaka September 19th, 2003 10:37 PM

Frederico,
Technically, all posts on this (and all other) site are the property of the site's owner. In our case, that's Chris Hurd. As such, Chris could be held responsible for the content of any post. As Jeff noted, above, we routinely scan for and remove or edit posts that contain potentially dangerous information, copyrighted material, and grossly slanderous statements. Recently, for example, we deleted a thread that doled out advice on how to explode and/or incinerate a model building. The possibility that someone might have followed any of that advice and become injured as a result was just too great to let it stand.

But, clearly we'd be hobbled in this regard if we can't read a post. And unfortunately (for us) many of us are just not fluent in multiple languages.

Hence English is the lingua franca here.

Federico Dib September 20th, 2003 06:06 AM

Ok.. now I get it... I just allways thought that posts in the forums were the responsability of their posters as the "terms of service" usually put something like "we are not held responsible for what user write.. bla.. bla" and even more in a Forum like this, were you can´t use nicks...

I´ll guess I have to do some "legal" investigation before launching the site.

One more question before I start my investigation, if I might?
Is this true for an US law specifically or does it apply internationally?

(forgive my lack of legal terms... I don´t even know how to write that in spanish)...

Thanks again

Ken Tanaka September 20th, 2003 10:32 AM

I am not an attorney so I cannot comment on such legal points. Jurisdiction, however, doesn't really matter. Becoming a defendant in a lawsuit, and having to spend tens of thousands of dollars, or hundreds of thousands, to demonstrate that you're not guilty is hardly a victory on any continent. And unfortunately that's the way it is.

Pepe Garcia September 21st, 2003 06:06 AM

Uhmmmm

The english is spoken by a lot of people but the spanish is a great language also.
The english people must take care of speak and write other languages. All people must learn a second language.

When the american and english peoble come to our beachs don't worry by learn spanish. Is a inexcusable vagrancy mental.

However, we are force to speak an write in english in a lot of parts on the world.

Sorry by my bad english. I'm trying improve it.

Regards