Optional LCD Panel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 01:47 PM   #1
Tourist

Optional LCD Panel

I am about to purchase a GL2 with the intention of using it to capture competitive soccer. I have been using a camera with a 4" LCD to do the same for 3 years and I am able to capture the match in sunlight and night games with this size LCD. I purchased a G4 MAC set up (Final Cut) and I am not looking to improve my input, hence the GL2. I rented one this weekend. All was great with the exeption of the 2.5" LCD. Impossible to locate ball on screen in Daylight, better but not great at night. If I go to the viewfinder, I give up peripheral vision which is (to me) 50% of knowing where to be. I am planning on going ahead with the GL2 but I will order the Varizoom 5.6" LCD that attaches to the shoe. They shared that in 2 weeks, it will be available with a much lighter battery. Is there something I am missing here? It seems that once you get to this level of camera, the LCD size drops. Great, except when you are tracking a small white ball. Any comments or similar experience?
Eric Glemser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Eric,
Indeed, the GL2's LCD is not exactly luxuriant. In fact, it's just barely servicable.

An external LCD monitor can be useful but there are three fundamental issues to consider.

1. Power. Since the GL2 has no means of sharing battery power you will have to select a panel that's relatively easy to power. Many battery-powered units either require a special battery or require connection to an Anton Bauer 12v battery (as found on full-size ENG cameras). Keep your eye on this feature, as it can be a real disappointing discovery on delivery.

2. Brightness. Many inexpensive lcd's are also impossible to see outdoors. Look for the brightest display you can get (often measured in "NITS") and be sure to also get a hood for it.

3. Resolution. Many inexpensive lcd monitors have extremely poor resolution. Some so bad they resemble looking at the image through a screen door. You'd be better off just using the camera's lcd than using such a unit.

Nebtek features an excellent line of bright, high-res lcd monitors that can be adapted to use your 7.2v BP-series camera batteries for their power supply (instead of a special, usually heavy, battery requiring its own charger). I highly recommend giving them a look, as well as Varizoom.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 05:14 AM   #3
Tourist

Ken, THanks for your reply. I have taken your advice, read what was available and have moved forward. I should receive my camera today. I plan to go with the Nebtek product primarily for the brightness benefit. Shooting out in the sun can be even more of a drain on my eyes than the batttery.

I appreciate the time you took to supply with the basics. I am generally not into the Tech side of items and have focused more on the art side. I value individuals like yourself who can provide the guidance when I have come up empty during my attempts to research. Thanks.
Eric Glemser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Nebtek looks like a great LCD, but there's something I don't get. On their site it says the resolution is 234 x 480 x 3. What does that mean? Does the "times three" indicate RGB or something? If the real resolution is only 234 x 480, that wouldn't seem to be enough to manually focus.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Not sure. But here's the Panasonic 7" monitor's page on the Panasonic site.

I can assure you that it's an excellent unit.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Wow. That's a good price. Isn't it usually $1,000? I take it you can get the image perfectly sharp on manual focus? I really want to like the Nebtek, but this is the single most important factor for me.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #7
Tourist

Keep an eye on the portablity (or lack there of) on the power source. The feedback I received from the folks at Nebtek was very positive on the panasonic model. The nice feature is the ability to use the cannon baterries and/or source to power the unit. AC is not a requirement, nor are typically heavey or unique batteries.
Eric Glemser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders