DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon won't pay for repairs? Then why'd I get a warranty? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/15235-canon-wont-pay-repairs-then-whyd-i-get-warranty.html)

Steve Withers October 1st, 2003 03:10 PM

Canon won't pay for repairs? Then why'd I get a warranty?

I've had my GL2 for about 5 months now. Mid July I noticed that a crack had appeared on the handle, near the mic. This caused the entire mic section to sag, so I duck taped it to prevent it from falling off. This seemed to work fine. Then, a few days later, I noticed the camera started producing an abnormal humming sound, but only while recording. I was a bit concerned about this, but it seemed to go away up until this month when the problem came back.

Then the camera stopped playing back any tape. It was like there was nothing on the tape, even though there most definitely was. I tried multiple tapes, and came to the conclusion that the heads needed cleaning. So I sent the camera back to Canon. I told them to clean the heads, and while they're at it to check out the other problems.

They called today and confirmed that the camera had suffered damage to the handle and there was a humming problem.

But they're not going to pay for it.

Even though I purchased a warranty.

The parts cost $26. The labor costs $250. So I loose close to $300. Plus what I paid for the warranty, which was something like $100, which I can now consider wasted since Canon refuses to honor it.

There goes that external mic I needed to get.... and that DVD burner...

Honestly, is there anything I can do? Or do I have to bite the bullet and accept the charges? Anyone else have experiences with Canon like this...? This really is frustrating...

Jeff Donald October 1st, 2003 03:17 PM

Who did you purchase the warranty or extended service contract from? Canon doesn't sell warranties.

Gints Klimanis October 1st, 2003 03:19 PM

Warranties cover defects in workmanship rather function as an equipment insurance policy. Perhaps they don't consider your damage to be a defect on their part. Bummer. Keep trying though. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Steve Withers October 1st, 2003 03:20 PM

I purchased the camera and warranty from J&R Electronics. I'm 16 here, so sorry if I don't get all of the info correct... not too knowledgeable about this. So we send the bill to J&R...? I'll have to check with them.

Jeff Donald October 1st, 2003 03:51 PM

You need to check on the terms of the extended service contract. Did they send any info about the contract, or a copy of the contract? Do you have a dated sales receipt for the camera and/or contract?

Chris Hurd October 1st, 2003 03:55 PM

All Canon camcorders automatically come with a one-year parts & labor warranty, free with the camera if you purchased from an authorized dealer.

Steve Withers October 1st, 2003 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Hurd :
All Canon camcorders automatically come with a one-year parts & labor warranty, free with the camera if you purchased from an authorized dealer.
That's what J&R said too.

Each product is fully guaranteed by the manufacturer (unless specifically stated otherwise). The complete warranty is included with the product. The manufacturers' warranty covers repair or replacement of defective parts, subject to the conditions set forth.

Frank Granovski October 1st, 2003 04:41 PM

Maybe because you are "16," Canon isn't taking you seriously.

Steve Withers October 1st, 2003 05:05 PM

Canon doesn't know that, besides they deal with my Mom...

We decided to let it go and authorize the repairs. I don't really feel like dragging this out and making a fuss. I need the camera for a project in two weeks.

Rob Wilson October 1st, 2003 06:32 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems with Canon Factory Service. I had just the opposite experience. My GL2 was right at one year old, but I needed it for a couple of shoots before I coud send it in. Contacted them and they said "no problem, as long as it's close". When I did send it, they replaced the EVF LCD even though there was only a pixel or two out, fixed the Image Stabilization replaced the head and a gear, all for free. PLUS, got it back 5 working days later. I'm IMPRESSED.

Don Palomaki October 1st, 2003 07:19 PM

Any chance the broken handle would look like damage (usually not coverd by a waranty) rather than a defect? Does the documentation you received with the Camcorder include the Canon Warranty registration card, or was it Graymarket?

Steve Withers October 1st, 2003 07:40 PM

It included the registration card, and we registered with them. Canon claims the damage to the camera is not a defect. I can't argue with that, except for the fact that I took it out of its case one morning and the crack was there and the mic sagged like hell, looking like it would fall off. Same goes for the humming sound. I was recording one day and it started producing the sound out of the blue. Not once do I remember dropping it or mishandling it.

Don Palomaki October 2nd, 2003 04:21 AM

Is it kept in a soft case? Where something could have fallen on it,?

FWIW: it is usually possible to tell the difference between things that broke as a result of an external force from those that failed due to internal stresses or defects.

Did you by any chance allow a friend use it?

Chris Hurd October 2nd, 2003 08:25 AM

For what it's worth, the $250 labor charge is considered adequate. Seems like a bite to you and me, but in the video world it's not a bad deal. Sorry to hear about it, sounds like the J&R "extra warranty" isn't worth it.