My GL2 outfit plan - am I missing anything? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 4th, 2003, 02:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My GL2 outfit plan - am I missing anything?

Hello all, I'm boiling down the final detals for purchasing my GL2 setup. I wanted to share what I am adding. I may have $300 or so left over, and was wondering if I should spend that on some other essential "extra" that I hadn't tought of.

Currently I own a consumer grade miniDV (Canon ZR45), which will become a backup, and the new setup is as follows:

1. GL2 kit
2. Velbon Video Tripod with liquid head. I've used this in the store, and it looks very nice and should do well for general use.
3. Extra battery (the 945 I believe, it's the "big dawg" high capacity battery for the GL1/2)
4. 10 MiniDV tapes (plus I've got a few here and there from my other camcorder, so it will put me at at least 12 tapes to get started.
5. Upgrade my computer hard drive to a 2000GB/7200RPM/8MB Bufer hard drive for video use. This isn't all the space in the world, but should be fine for just starting out with NLE projects.
6. DVD+R/+RW,-R,-RW internal IDE burner.
7. A 50 spindle of DVD+R disks to get started.
8. I've already got a high quality multicoated UV filter of the correct side to add to my lense as protection.

As for further extras, I'm considering a wireless mic setup (maybe able to do this in my budget), or possible a low cost LANC controller to start/stop when I have my external "bullet" cam hooked up. (I'll be taping some action from a moving sport bike, and the bullet cams are great for this, but I need an inexpensive LANC to start and stop the recording while riding).

Any further suggestions, or have I missed something critical?

Thanks!!
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:02 AM   #2
Trustee

In order to save a little more money, make sure you get one of the compatible batteries, and don't get the regualr Canon BP945. Other manufacturers make very good substitutes. I have a Power 200 945 equivalent for my GL2 and it's great.

Aaron
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

sounds good what you have in mind. I wouldn't know right now what else you could need. Well maybe a wide angle lense, but that depends on what you want to shoot.
My advice would be. keep it with the list you have written down and shoot some video. Then you will find out automatically what you need more, or maybe you find out that this is all you need.

You are talking about a 2000 GB hard disk and say that this is not all the space in the world. I assume you mean a 200 GB disk :) This is really enough, I use a 80GB disk for only my video. Well I work only at 1 project at a time and for me this is enough.

You were talking about a "bullet" cam, is this something comparable to a helmet cam or some sort? If so, what did you pay for it?
Joris Beverloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Where'd you pick up the 2000 gigabyte hard drive, and how much did it cost? I want one.
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin,

Great choice of camcorder!

I really wouldn't buy a 50 x spindle of DVD+R disks until you find a brand which works consistently in the DVD player you are most likely to play them in. If you are producing disks for others then you would probably be better off sticking with DVD-R as this produces the most DVD player compatible disks. Try various brands out and when you find one that works well in your burner and player(s) then think about getting that spindle of disks.

With regards to the miniDV tapes. Remember that the brand you buy now is really the brand you should stick with. Make sure then that you are not buying a brand which you will later find difficult to locate. If you are in desperate need of another tape one day when out shooting you really want to be able to drop in a retailers and pick one up of the brand you use.

Have you thought about any filters you might need for the type of filming you will do? In any case I personally think it's quite useful to get a UV filter (even if you don't leave it attached all the time).

Finally, a good, rain-proof, case is essential if you don't already have one.

" Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx
Lloyd Roseblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Kevin,

Some form of external mic is almost required. The on cam mic is only good for nat really. A decent quality shotgun with 1/8" connector can be had for under $300 and will make a huge difference in your final product. Then save up to buy a good UHF wireless w lav. Just my thought!
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Joris Beverloo :

I assume you mean a 200 GB disk :) This is really enough, I use a 80GB disk for only my video. Well I work only at 1 project at a time and for me this is enough.

You were talking about a "bullet" cam, is this something comparable to a helmet cam or some sort? If so, what did you pay for it?

-->>>

Joris -

I guess that was a type-o on the drive. ;) 200GB it is. If they ship me a "2000" on accident, I'll certainly let everyone know. haha.

As for the bullet cam - yes, they are generic cams about the size of a ladies lipstick container. You can get them in 380 and 420 line models. I'm in the CCTV business and sometimes customers need them for semi-covert applications over cash registers and such.

The video quality is actually amazingly good, and some go down to .5 lux, and with the relatively low cost, if you occasionally damage one, it's not 'that' big of a loss.

I usually get them from ebay. Just search for "bullet camera" and they'll come up. The 380's are usually about $60 to $75 and the 420's are $75 to $125. They take 12 volt DC as the power (easily supplied by a cheap-o AA battery holster from Radio Shack), and they have a single RCA style output which is easily run to just about any camera.

I usually rig up the cam on my helmet or a stick-on mount on the side of my motorcycle. I carry the cam (my current ZR40 consumer cam) loose in a backpack, or if one of the boys is taking it out on the race track, I put it in a Pelican hard case with holes drilled for cables. This is nearly indestructable and won't hurt the camrea if there's a wreck on the track.

Finally, I use a LANC controller near the hand grip to start/stop recording while riding. Can't remember the model LANC I've got, but it's made by a foregn company for skydivers. I asked about another LANC controller in my post as the one I have is kind of intermittent and seems to have some compatibillity issues with my current camera. It's a single button start/stop setup. I'm considering getting the full blown Canon LANC with zoom functions, but that's more than I want to spend for features I don't really need for this application.
Old October 4th, 2003, 06:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

zr 1000

I'd suggest taking a good long look at a remote controller like the zr-1000. I recently broke mine and thought I could live without it. I do a lot of shooting with my camera mounted on a tripod and for that kind of shooting it is huge help. if you are going to be doing a lot of hand-held work it would not be of much use, but for anyone using a tripod, it's a real asset.
A lens pen and a micro fiber cloth are critical.
A better microphone was mentioned.
Was a polarizing filter? a UV protective filter and a polarizing filter should be part of almost everyone's gear.
Old October 4th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Bud-

I have overlooked a polarizer. I will be sure to add this to the list. I couldn't live without one on my still camera.

What is a "lense pen"?? Not sure what that's all about.

Most of my work will be hand held. I will wait to see what resuluts I get, but I think I may be getting a shoulder support and quite possibly that shotgun mic mentioned. Want to see how it sounds first though.

Thanks again.
Old October 5th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

I got yer lens pen right here!

http://www.lenspen.com/

Hope that helps.

Hmm, we need DV Info Net branded lens pens.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 06:17 AM   #11
New Boot

I like the lenspen, but I love the Microdear:

http://www.adorama.com/CPCMS.html

These are great for camcorders, cameras, binocs, and even cleaning your eye/sun glasses.
Stella Aquilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

lens pen + microfiber cloth

i mentioned both a lens pen and a cloth because you really need both to do the proper job of cleaning your lenses with the least amount of scratching.
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #13
Regular Crew

HDD space

Quote - "This isn't all the space in the world, but should be fine for just starting out with NLE projects"

Well depending on the length of your project/s, a 200GB HDD would give you over 17 hours of DV video at 25Mbits/sec. Obviously a bit less if you fill it to the recommended 80 or 85%.

Having multiple projects on one 200GB HDD is OK, but this will become a "multiple" problem if your 200GB HDD crashes.

I have found better redundancy using multiple smaller HDDs (40GB or 80GB HDDs) and running backups when working on critical projects.

I usually use cold or hot swappable HDD crates which allows me to swap and change as I please between different projects, this enables you to be more flexible and gives you a form of redundancy between the projects. I normally do this AND run backups to different HDDs as well. I have got burned before, and with the space prices being pretty low I often wonder why people overlook something like this... it certainly beats re-editing a whole lot of projects.

Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #14
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : In order to save a little more money, make sure you get one of the compatible batteries, and don't get the regualr Canon BP945. Other manufacturers make very good substitutes. I have a Power 200 945 equivalent for my GL2 and it's great.

Aaron -->>> Where did you buy that battery from?? I see a lot of them on E-bay that say they are for the Canon GL2 but I have no idea which ones are good and which ones will ruin my camera.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Kevin- I don't think you ever mentioned what kind of shooting you were doing. If it is weddings- it is a MUST to get a lavalier for the groom, or a shotgun mic at least. It is also highly recommended to get a light to put on your cam for dark scenes (such as dancing at the reception).

For all of these, you will need some type of hotshoe connector to hold these. There are a few different ones made for the Canons.

Ted
Ted Banucci is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders