DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   I need the GL2 users opinions: GL2 or DVC80? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/15718-i-need-gl2-users-opinions-gl2-dvc80.html)

Bryan McCullough October 13th, 2003 03:58 PM

I need the GL2 users opinions: GL2 or DVC80?

I'm going back and forth on these and it's killing me.

First off, the prices are pretty much identical when you figure in an XLR adapter for the GL2.

I really like the audio abilities on the 80.....then I think about the frame mode and 16x9 abilites on the GL2.

Then I think about the wider angle lens on the 80......then the zoom on the GL2.

When the dust settles I'm left with 2 things that are important to me:

1. Picture Quality. Simply which camera has the best PQ.

2. 16x9 ability. I don't do this often, but it's a huge plus that the GL2 seems to handle this so well.

Any thoughts? I'm close to pulling out all my hair I have left!

Rob Easler October 13th, 2003 06:43 PM

There is a fair amount already posted about these cams. You have to use the search funtion on this forum. It is very good.

Read my post on the topic here...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=15710

Ken Tanaka October 13th, 2003 06:48 PM

Bryan,
You actually started that thread that Rob pointed out, above. I can't imagine that anyone can offer more.

Nobody can make your decision for you. Just pick one, don't look back and learn to exploit its capabilities to their fullest. You'll be happy with either.

Bryan McCullough October 13th, 2003 07:05 PM

I did use the search extensively before posting but I thought it good to ask the question in each of the forums because clearly each is going to have a bias.

Thanks for the help.

Graham Bernard October 14th, 2003 12:47 AM

Ken is correct . . .

My choice of the Xm2 was based on:

1 - 20x optical zoom. I'd been fed up with mean zooms - I don't mean zooming in and out - I really mean being that far away that to frmae a shot with the 20x was/is a main consideration for me. No Digital Zoom use here!!!

2 - 2 Manually operable audio channels clearly shown on the meters AND in the viewfinder too.

3 - Price!

4 - 3CCD - Not as big as say the VX2000, so compromise on low light - whatever others say! But my XM2 is my first DV cammie and the picture knocked me out.
5 - Nice feel in the hands.

6 - Simple audio connections

Drawback? - Well, if I'm to be nasty, I'd have preferred the Japanese version which is graphic black - looks kinda cool. The silvery look of this prosumer . . well . . . . work it out folks!

Don't look back! Decide! Live with it and make movies. 16:9? MMmm . . not into it yet but I can see it will be coming of age sooner than later.

Yeah it's hard . . it's harder still not making ANY movies 'cos you aint got the tools . . . yeah?

Grazie

Shawn Mielke October 14th, 2003 01:20 AM

DVC80: wider lens, built in XLRs, larger ccds. Some users of both say, though, that the low light is very similar to the gl2.

Bryan McCullough October 15th, 2003 02:05 PM

I went for the GL2.

Just felt better about it. Maybe in 6 months or so I can relook at the DVC80.

So now get ready for a bunch of "how do you do this and how do you do that" threads and I'll get ready for a bunch of "do a freakin' search you idiot" responses.

:D

Shawn Mielke October 15th, 2003 02:39 PM

Not everyone thinks to search first and ask questions later...........It's good advice to run by everyone, initially.

Bryan McCullough October 15th, 2003 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shawn Mielke :
Not everyone thinks to search first and ask questions later...........It's good advice to run by everyone, initially.
Yeah, but some people think that just because you post a topic that's been covered you didn't search first.

I'm active in many online forums and the best ones are those that are a living community, not a reference library.

In particular, I'm very familiar with vBulletin and can search it pretty well. I did my research, but wanted some fresh thoughts from those around now.

Shawn Mielke October 15th, 2003 05:19 PM

Gotcha, Bryan. Wasn't aware of your background until you told me. Now we know, and can help you out appropriately, if possible.