DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   LCD Screen failure (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/15756-lcd-screen-failure.html)

Tony Hills October 14th, 2003 02:52 PM

LCD Screen failure

I have owned my XM1 for just over three years and it has performed flawlessly - until last week! Before I rush off to Canon and seek a repair quotation, I thought I should check to see if there is anything I can do to correct the fault. I have used the search facility, but cannot find any reference.

The fault is quite simple. When using the LCD screen, after about three seconds it turns off, leaving a black blank screen. Sound is still there, and it has not reverted to the viewfinder.

Close the screen and it reverts to the viewfinder. Open the screen again and it comes alive and is perfect, but only for three seconds, after which it reverts to a black screen.

It has not been dropped or damaged in any way. I have tried replacing the battery, power from the mains through the charger, and resetting, but to no avail.

Has anyone had this fault themselves, and if so how was it corrected?

Does anyone have an suggestions (apart from an expensive Canon repair job) how it can be corrected? Canon Repair Helpline in the UK told me that they wanted £150 ($225) just to assess the problem and would then quote me for any repair! Frankly, after three years I think I will consider a new camera - but having been a strong advocate of Canon I may think about a Sony or Panasonic. I'm going to start reading the DVX100 Forum!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Tony Hills

Ken Tanaka October 14th, 2003 03:01 PM

This is a new problem to me, Tony.

Aside from replacing you batteries (your back-up and main) I can't think of any do-it-yourself remedies. It sounds like Canon repair will be your only recourse.

Rick Foxx October 14th, 2003 03:41 PM

This was a bad transformer in my GL1, and it had to be replaced by Canon service. The first time it happened, it was under warranty. The second time, I never bothered fixing it because of the repair expense on a 2+ year old camera versus buying a new camera with a full warranty.

Let us know the verdict from Canon!

Rick

Ted Banucci October 14th, 2003 06:30 PM

I had this same problem with my GL1. The Canon support place in Irvine, CA basically quoted me for $250. I had them fix it considering $250 is a good deal on a "Used Canon" if you think about it that way.

Rick Foxx October 15th, 2003 12:59 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Banucci : I had them fix it considering $250 is a good deal on a "Used Canon" if you think about it that way. -->>>

In my case, I'm sure the repair bill would be well over $1000 since I would have them fix the 3 hot pixels at the same time.

Ted Banucci October 15th, 2003 01:28 PM

I'm not sure about that. Pretty sure they just replaced my whole LCD.

Tony Hills October 15th, 2003 04:04 PM

Thanks for all your replies (it's at least comforting to share the problem with others!)

Looks like I am going to have to get an estimate for repair by Canon, although it makes me annoyed that this just suddenly happens 'out of the blue'. The rest of the camera is still working correctly, so I will just have to decide whether it is worth repairing or not. If I buy another camera and this just becomes a back-up, then probably not. I have a 5" TFT monitor which I can mount above the camera for tripod use (say at a wedding) and use in place of the screen.

I'm still annoyed, however, that an expensive piece of kit (in relative terms) can just go wrong for no reason. If I had dropped it or left in it hot sunlight, then I have only myself to blame - but this is not the case.

As you have all taken the trouble to reply, I will post a result when I have one.

Regards

Tony

Ted Banucci October 15th, 2003 04:16 PM

Tony- in addition to my above input- I believe the $250 deposit goes towards the actual bill for fixing the camera. Thus if the repairs cost $250, you would owe no more money.

Rick Foxx October 17th, 2003 09:23 AM

I was surfing one of the online equipment dealers, and I came across a 5.6" LCD monitor for $199. You can add on the battery and case for another $30. I think this is what I'll wind up doing to solve my disabled LCD panel on my GL1. The nice thing about this is that I can also use the monitor on my DVC200, which will be a major bonus. Email me privately if you want the link.

Rick