DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL1 vs. GL2 (and possible the TRV950) - Any Input is Greatly Appreciated (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/15768-gl1-vs-gl2-possible-trv950-any-input-greatly-appreciated.html)

Tim Frank October 14th, 2003 07:33 PM

GL1 vs. GL2 (and possible the TRV950) - Any Input is Greatly Appreciated

I’m a TV Pro student and I wanted a 3CCD camera just to fool around with me and my friends. We maily shoot things like “jackass” type videos (best way I can think to describe it). Where we follow one person around and shoot them doing something. We also shoot still shots such as music videos, we’ve done a few of those. I was wondering if you could advise me on the GL1. I’ve been leaning towards that camera just because of the price. The only thing I’m worried about is the fact that its older and I would b e purchasing a used product vs. new and it may have more of a tendency to wear out faster (heads, etc). Do you notice any video quality difference, microphone difference between the 2 cameras since I would probably be using the built-in mic most of the time (except for music videos). I’ve searched through many reviews and its hard to find anything or anybody that compares the GL1 to the GL2 so any input would be greatly appreciated. We have the XL1s at school and I haven’t really tried “movie mode” or anything in it which is one of the main reasons I would be purchasing it over a camera such as the TRV950 (I’ve had all Sony cameras up until now). The only reason I don't want a TRV950 is that it doesn't have as much zoom and it also doesn't have true 30fps movie mode. I’d be selling my PC100 sony for one of these. Thanks again!

Tim

Frank Granovski October 14th, 2003 07:47 PM

Out of those 3 cams, I like the GL2 the best, though I've only played around with the TRV950 and GL2, but have used the GL1 for shoots.

Tim Frank October 14th, 2003 08:13 PM

Would you say it is worth the extra $600 (I can get a GL1 for around $1100-$1300 on eBay vs $1700-$1900 for the GL2). Thats really what I'm trying to figure out, whether I should splurge for the better cam.

Frank Granovski October 14th, 2003 08:37 PM

I would get the GL2. I wouldn't even consider the GL1. Although the GL1 was a good cam, the GL2 is a great cam: better audio, higher resolution and other options like manual slow shutter settings. Plus both the GL1 and GL2 requires less lux than the TRV950. (Another thing, the TRV950 is very difficult to hold. The "lip" or ridge for your fingers is useless, the cam pulls forward and to the left.) Just my opinions.

Marco Leavitt October 14th, 2003 09:06 PM

I don't know. No question the GL2 is a much better cam, but I don't think the improved audio is going to be of much use for this type of shooting, and it also sounds like the cam will be used in pretty risky situations. If it were me, I'd probably look for the cheapest, high use GL1 I could find. I think it's more rugged too. It certainly feels more solid in your hand anyway.

Tim Frank October 14th, 2003 09:10 PM

If I got one I woulnd't put it in any "danger". I'm just wondering is the quality and features on the GL2 worth the extra $600 and so far I've come to a no on that but I'm still searching.

Frank Granovski October 14th, 2003 10:07 PM

Tim, I think it's worth it. Plus Canon gives you a $250 US rebate when buying the GL2. But if you don't want to spend that kind of money, there are other good, older cams on the market, like a TRV900, PD100A, AG-EZ30U etc.

Tim Frank October 14th, 2003 10:20 PM

Would you say if I'm not going to buy a GL2 then the TRV900 would be a better choice over the GL1?

Frank Granovski October 14th, 2003 10:31 PM

I'm saying that they are all good cams, but the GL2 is a great cam. Perhaps if you looked at these models, you would be better able to decide. What's good for me might not be good for you. What features do you want in a cam? Do you want pro-scan/frame mode? Manual slow shutter speeds? DIS, OIS or no stabilizer? Super high resolution? Low noise? Color saturation? Cam as a hand-held? Good manual features? Nice auto mode with fast-acting sensors? How much zoom? 20X? Yes? Then you'll need a tripod. Anything over 5X you'll want to use a tripod, OIS or no OIS.

Boyd Ostroff October 14th, 2003 11:13 PM

Re: GL1 vs. GL2 (and possible the TRV950) - Any Input is Greatly Appreciated

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Frank : I haven’t really tried “movie mode” or anything in it which is one of the main reasons I would be purchasing it over a camera such as the TRV950 -->>>

Others are making some good points here. I would just point out that you can acheive pretty much the same effect in post using one of several NLE plug-ins or a standalone program like DVfilm Maker

Tim Frank October 14th, 2003 11:36 PM

Okay thanks for the information. I like the 20x zoom feature compared to 10 and 12x of toher cameras. I might fool around with shutter speed sometimes, however just about everything I willb e doing effect wise will be in post with Premiere. I also like the OIS vs. the EIS I have with my PC100 now. I'd like a camera with fast acting auto mode for times when I'm following somebody or just fooling around with the camera and don't have a set plan for what I'm going to film and where. Camera resolution for photos doesn't matter at all as I have a digicam. Color saturation...anything is equal or better to what I have now lol!

Jason Casey October 15th, 2003 08:53 AM

I'd go with the GL2 I just got a brand new one for only $1788 after the $250 rebates that Canon is now offering on the GL2.

Tom Hardwick October 15th, 2003 10:20 AM

OK, pop over to the TRV950 page to see my latest revelations on this camera. But to your list. I'd place the GL2 as top dog, followed pretty closely by the TRV900. Buying this second hand will save you a wadge of money, too. Then I'd have the Panasonic MX500. then the GL1, followed by the TRV950.

tom.

Tim Frank October 15th, 2003 02:27 PM

I saw this deal:

http://www.inoax.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=3860&RefTag=Dealtime

They have okay ratings on resellerrating.com but really good ratings on dealtime so I think its worth a shot, any opinions??

Frank Granovski October 15th, 2003 05:13 PM

A deal on what? What are they going to ding you on shipping?