DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Ugrading from GL2 to XL1..? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/15966-ugrading-gl2-xl1.html)

Joe Abeleda October 19th, 2003 11:00 AM

Ugrading from GL2 to XL1..?

Hello!

I have a GL2 and I LOVE it. I would like to go into the wedding video/event/promotional filming business. I'm going to school right nowand feel that a "pro"-model cam is neccessary down the line. Sometimes I feel I need to get my hands on a XL1 to "master" it so when the time comes I can use it correctly when filming. I figure you can't go wrong with having both cameras for business.

From almost all articles I read, the XL1 is the "holy grail' for this type of filming. However for $3500+ extra lenses and accessories =big bucks. I could even buy 2 GL2s if I looked hard enough.

I have found the GL2 to be a great cam and with the MA-300 attachment I can connect XLR external mics and pro sound, just like the XL1. It can do SOME of the stuff the GL2 can. But when I buy new equipment, I always try to upgrade, if I can, and the XL1 seems to be that step. So the question is to all you lucky XL1 owners is, should I jump at it and move up to the "big leagues"? Shall I wait until there is a XL2 (if it's coming up soon)? To the GL2 owners: Shall I stick to getting a fleet of great GL2s for a business or wait until there will be a GL3?

Thanks in Advance,

Joe

Ken Tanaka October 19th, 2003 11:18 AM

Hello Joe,
This is just my opinion, for whatever value it may be to you.

I have a GL2 and an XL1s with all of the trimmings. Both are exellent cameras capable of producing outstanding results in skilled hands. Their imaging, however, is really very similar despite the difference in ccd sizes.

If you do not really need the manual lens available for the XL1s I'd recommend sticking with the GL2 for your wedding and event work. Smaller, lighter camera easier to schlep, lcd screen, etc. (I would have a different opinion if you were making short films.)

There are bound to be developments on the XL platform in the coming year or so. Perhaps also the GL platform. It's a good time to hold onto your wallet.

Graham Bernard October 19th, 2003 12:10 PM

I use my XM2 for wedding work. Non-schelp advantage, oh yes! . . and you can get very, very personal with it! It's a Wolf in Sheeps clothing!

Grazie

Joe Abeleda October 20th, 2003 06:03 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Hello Joe,
This is just my opinion, for whatever value it may be to you.

I have a GL2 and an XL1s with all of the trimmings. Both are exellent cameras capable of producing outstanding results in skilled hands. Their imaging, however, is really very similar despite the difference in ccd sizes.

If you do not really need the manual lens available for the XL1s I'd recommend sticking with the GL2 for your wedding and event work. Smaller, lighter camera easier to schlep, lcd screen, etc. (I would have a different opinion if you were making short films.)

-->>>

Ken, why would the XL1 be better at making short films?

Ken Tanaka October 20th, 2003 07:31 PM

The XL1s' modularity makes it a good selection for filmmaking. Its interchangable lens system and the availablility of a truly manual lens are very strong points in its favor for such an application.

Graham Bernard October 20th, 2003 11:24 PM

Thanks Ken. Maybe I should change my analogy, only for filmaking, to: "A Sheep in Wolf's Clothing!" - haha!!

G

Nathan Gifford October 21st, 2003 05:04 AM

While there are bunch of reasons to get an XL-1, if the GL2 is serving you well, why switch? For what a XL-1 would cost, you could buy a lot of accessories.

The biggest advantage of the XL-1 over the GL-2, considering the way you likely shoot, is the 4-track audio system. Unlike the GL2 you can record on sub tracks while you are shooting.

Federico Dib October 21st, 2003 07:35 AM

Re: Ugrading from GL2 to XL1..?

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Abeleda : Hello!
To the GL2 owners: Shall I stick to getting a fleet of great GL2s for a business or wait until there will be a GL3?

Thanks in Advance,

Joe -->>>

XM2 owner here, but I´ve worked a few times with the XL1 (not the S)... never worked on weddings... but I´ve done short fiction and a few events... (concerts, street artists, and night clubs)..

For what I do, I´d wait with my XM2 until it becomes obsolete before I buy anything else. The XM2 is a great camera, usually underestimated. I´ve seen footage from the same event of the the XL1 and the XM2 side by side, and I´m sure 99% of non technical wouldn´t see any difference.. and I´m sure quite a few techies woudn´t either.

If I ever really need anything better than my XM2 in terms of quality I´d rent a big pro camera.

Just keep in mind, that I don´t really make a living out of my camera.. it´s just an "art" tool most of the times.