My New (used) GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 26th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My New (used) GL2

I recently purchased a used GL2 with appox 20 hours on it. The tapes that were being used were the Maxell DVM60se's. One question I had was :
Must I continue to use this brand and model of tape or can I go with a better quality?
The previous owner was kind enough to send me a head cleaner along with the camera, as well as one of the tapes he was using. If I plan to do weddings I would like to use a better grade of tape if possible.
Also, will any firewire 4 pin to 6 pin cable do for transfering from the camera to the desktop? I have been using a Dazzle DV bridge but can go straight from camera to firewire card if needed.

I did a search for most of these questions but didn't see a definite answer for these two questions so if you are answering old questions again, I apoloize.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #2

as far as i know, any firewire cable will do.
from what ive read on these boards its unsafe to change tape brands but i did the same thing, i changed from some junky fujifilm tapes to sony premiums with no noticeable problems
Old October 26th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Barry,
Congratulations on your "new" GL2. Twenty hours of head time is not much at all, so it's preactically new.

-Do- run the head cleaning tape (per the instructions on the tape. Feel free to change to the brand of tape you prefer after that. It's just prudent to stick with a brand of tape on an ongoing basis. Be sure to run that cleaning tape before changing.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Question about Fuji tape

Hi Jerry...was wondering why you refer to "Fuji tape" as 'junky'? I read many articles, comments, forums, etc. before deciding to go with Fuji. Just curious what problems you have run into. Thanks!
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks

I continue to learn. Thanks to you all for the advice.

Are the MQ tapes worth the extra cost? Has anyone used them yet? I do not mind the extra money for the tape because I want to give my customers the best I can, but I just don't want to pay for the hype.

Roze Ann, I don't want to get between two of my neighbors to the North but I took it to mean the guy before him was using the lowest grade tape, not as a slam on Fuji. Just my take on it.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow. I never heard about using the same type of tape for whatever reason. So, this helps to keep the cameras heads in shape, or lessens the wear? Good to know. I assume this applies to any camcorder? I am ordering a GL2 from Zotz Digital tommorrow. After as much research as my brain can handle on the subject of "what stuff to buy", I look forward to getting my hands on the actual item(s). I have spent hours reading through the forums here, and feel I have barely scraped the surface. I understand opinions will vary, but is there a general consensus on the best type of tapes? I would like to start the new cam on the right foot. Also, if I may stray a wee bit off topic, is it a bad idea to record over miniDV tapes that have already been recorded on?
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:58 AM   #7
Major Player

heres my take on it:

different brands use different chemicals that comprise the tape, after a while these chemicals leave deposits on the heads and rollers. Some chemicals of brand X could have and adverse reaction withe the chemicals of brand Y, these reactions can cause premature degradation of the tapes in use possibly causing dropouts or other bad things.

and when re-using tapes more that once:

tapes start to stretch and wear after the first use, the more they stretch and wear, the more tape debris is deposited on the camera head and rollers- causing all sorts of problems.

Tape brands:

Use a good quality tape, I use Sony Premiums in the blue package. They are a good middle of the road tape, some cheaper tapes might work for some camcorders, but I wouldnt bet my warranty on it. You buy a $2000 piece of equipment- why feed it $2 tapes? Treat your camera well and it will treat you right tenfold. Sony tapes are popular here. Brands to stay away from are JVC, Maxell and Panasonic tapes, this is just my observation from reading posts here- dont get mad if you like those brands of tapes.

gas
Old March 9th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Addendum

It's actually the lubricants used on the tapes that represent the potential hazard. Some tape brands/grades use a dry lubricant and some a wet (oil). The theory is that switching between the two without an intervening head cleaning can cause a micro-sludge that contaminates the heads.

There have been reports that all tapes may now use dry lubricants, but I don't think anyone here knows this for fact.

Nevertheless, it is still a safe course to pick an' stick to a brand and, perhaps, even a grade.

The higher grades of tape, such as the Panasonic MQ tapes, are basically designed for greater durability and lower head abrasion than the consumer-grade tapes.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:29 AM   #9
Major Player

yea thanks Ken,

Lubricants or as I called it: chemicals ;D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders