mono sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 14th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

mono sound

i use a schriber shotgun mic w/ my gl2. it plugs directly into the camera (w/o the use of an adapter). the sound only records in mono, which was fine when i wasn't using my camera for any serious purposes. but now i want to record in stereo. my question, is it the mic that prevents me from doing this, or is it the fact that i'm not using the xlr adapter?
Adam Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Shotgun mics are mono by nature. Most XLR-to-mini plugs only send a mono signal (channel 1). It sounds like that's the setup your using right now. Due to the nature of the mono shotgun, it can only output one channel (mono, or L according to the GL-2).
The GL-2 does have a function to output either channel (L or R) to both tracks when using the camera as a vtr. This will not produce stereo sound (different left and right tracks) but will play two identical tracks. In order to do this, when in vcr mode, select Menu > VCR Setup > Output Ch > L/L. This will output the left channel to both tracks. If you use this method, be sure to switch back to L/R before recording with the onboard or other stereo mic.

For my GL-2, I have a short XLR-to-mini plug that bridges the XLR (mic) signal to channels 1 and 2. That way, I record two identical channels of audio. This basically accomplishes the same thing in the longrun, but is a little more stable due to both tracks actually being on the original source tape.
Old November 14th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

"For my GL-2, I have a short XLR-to-mini plug that bridges the XLR (mic) signal to channels 1 and 2. That way, I record two identical channels of audio. This basically accomplishes the same thing in the longrun, but is a little more stable due to both tracks actually being on the original source tape."

ok, i think that's what i mean...i just want to be able to have to have audio on both the l and r channel on the source tape (which i realize now, isn't the same as "stereo" sound).

so it is possible to have audio on both channels on the source tape using just one shotgun mic, correct? but you need the xlr adapter to do so?
Old November 14th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes. Here's a link to the cable I bought from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=158476&is=REG

The right angle mini-plug works very well, and 1 foot is the perfect length for a shotgun mic mounted to the hotshoe. I even rigged up some elastic bands around the handle to keep the cord secure and eye-appealing.
I do want to warn you of some troubles I have had with this cable though. It was easily fixed (I think it was a software problem and not the cable's fault) but I figured it was worth mentioning. Here's a link to the thread I started, as well as the solution, so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=fce+audio
Old November 14th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

If you really need stereo, AT offers some stereo shotgun mics.

For a single point stereo mic with normal pattern, at a more moderate price (and better than shotgun frequency response) check (in order of decreasing price/quality) the AT-825, Sony ECM-MS957, and Sony ECM-MS907.
Old November 14th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks for the help. i think i already have a foot long cable like that (came w/ the mic), but i would still need to get an adapter, correct?

and this may sound stupid, but are the ma300 and the xlr my two choices?
Old November 14th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #7
Major Player

I looked at a picture of the Schriber SA-568 accessory kit. It shows xlr-xlr and an xlr-mini cables which, I'm guessing, is what you have right now. If you have the xlr-mini, look at the mini plug and count how many black rings there are on the tip. One black ring represents mono, two represents stereo. Most likely yours is mono, which means you're basically stuck with mono if you use that cable. From your last post, it sounds like you only have the xlr-xlr. You are correct that in order to use that cable, you will need an adaptor of some type.

Your question is by no means stupid. The ma300 is one of the more common approaches to integrating xlr with the GL-2. The ma300 has both advantages and disadvantages.

advantage: Hotshoe mount allows for the ma300 to be directly integrated to the GL-2. Less cables means more organization and less hassle. However you will still need a cable from the mic to the ma300.

disadvantage: Not having a suspension mount produces unnecessary noise recorded by the mic due to the vibration of the camera (much like placing a tuning fork on the body of a guitar).
Also, you'll end up right back where you started in that the ma300 (like all two channel xlr inputs) has an xlr devoted to channel 1, and another xlr devoted to channel 2. So by plugging xlr-xlr into the first ma300 jack, you'll only record channel 1. Some people get a little creative and make their own y-adaptors and stuff, but it seems like the cable I bought would be much easier and quicker. That's why I bought it :).
Old November 14th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

would the xlrpro be an alternative to the ma300 or am i completely off base?

and you are correct about the cables i have.
Old November 14th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #9
Major Player

I don't know much about the xlrpro, but it looks very similar to the popular (and slightly less expensive) Beachtek DXA-4P - www.beachtek.com. B&H sells them as well.
I don't have one personally, but we use them at school, so I do have a little experience with them. This would solve your problem by providing identical recording to both tracks when only one mic is plugged in (this is a switchable function). It also allows a balanced connection to for any xlr input. A balanced connection provides a ground for the cable and eliminates the noise you get from longer cable runs. This definately pays off when using a boom mic. Also, it mounts right to the bottom of the camera which makes it easier to deal with cables (as opposed to mics going into a mixer then output to the camera). The downsides that I've found with the Beachtek are mainly asthetic. Its a little tall, and makes the camera feel clumsy when on a tripod. Also the level knobs, although very usable, tend to get in my way a lot. Thankfully they made them lock into place, so they won't adjust unless you specifically do so.
This is a very popular topic on this forum. Just do a search for Beachtek, and you'll find lots of experiences with this product as well as other comparable products. Again, different systems will contain different features (2 channel recording from xlr input 1, mounts to camera, phantom power, three xlr inputs, audio meters, etc.) so you'll just have to figure out which one suits you best.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders