GL2 Discontinued - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 21st, 2003, 08:45 PM   #16
Trustee

Plead ignorance and just keep the cam! ;)
Old November 21st, 2003, 10:10 PM   #17
Regular Crew

best buy

dont call them back, KARMA dont apply to those stores....and if you are in school, Sammys in Santa Barbara discounts almost everything with student id because of brooks institute.

m
Old November 21st, 2003, 11:35 PM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

We're Wandering...

Please stay on-topic. Let's not start a rant about retailers.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:43 AM   #19
Major Player

The thing to remember, also, is Canon isn't going to tell you until they've unloade inventory. The dealers won't know, the sales reps won't know, and the distributors won't know.

There was a well known software company whos owner kept telling potential customers "Wait till you see the next version"! Customers kept waiting for the next version and sales reps became increasingly frustrated cause they couldn't collect their commissions.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM   #20
Trustee

Look, I know it's unlikely that Canon has told any of these dealers that the GL2 is discontinued. It's likely totally false. HOWEVER, it would be consistent with the simultaneous rebates on both the XL1S and the GL2.

I think that one thing that would be a good bet is that some new prosumer camera is around the corner. The rebates would encourage everyone to go buy the old stock while it's still there. The GL2 may well continue after the XL2, or whatever it is called, comes out, but it will definitely take a backseat to the new flagship, whatever it might be.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:22 PM   #21
Tourist

I'm in Hong Kong. Two weeks ago I went, cash in hand, to the largest electronics retailer here to order an XM2 (no one stocks them ever, all pro and prosumer cameras are only available by order from the distributor). They got on the phone to Canon's HQ in Hong Kong and were told the camera is out of stock and that Canon Japan is not resupplying them. They (Canon HK) said mine was not the first order, and that their understanding is that the XM2 is discontinued. However, no word as to whether a new model will replace it or whether the whole line is discontinued.

This sounds pretty unequivocable. It's not a retailer making excuses. I'm a bit disappointed. I'm willing to wait a month or two for a newer model, but I wish they'd give a hint as to what (if anything) will replace the XM2...and when!
Larry Feign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:41 PM   #22
Trustee

Wow.

Well, anyway I predict that Canon will be coming out with two new cameras come next year. One will be HD, and have interchangeable real lenses like the XL1. The other will be SD only and have a built-in fixed lens. Both will have native 16x9, 24/30 fps, 3 CCD.

That's my dream anyway. :)
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:46 AM   #23
Wrangler

FWIW: the GL2 is still on the Canon Japan web site.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:11 AM   #24
Major Player

I have found that Canon is very fast when it comes to changing its Web site (that is, CanonDV.com) when there is a change in the product lineup. The site will even reflect overlap. When the ZR60/65/70 replaced the ZR40/45/50, both families were on the site for a short time until the newer family was available.

So I figure if the GL2 is still listed there, it's still available. As of a few seconds ago, it was.

By the way, one of the best things about CanonDV.com is the Product Archive of discontinued products. It contains the pages that used to be accessible on the main site when those products were active. It's an incredibly good resource.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders