GL2 / Optura in the Fire Academy... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 1st, 2003, 06:41 PM   #1
Major Player

GL2 / Optura in the Fire Academy...

Hi Everyone.

I may have the opportunity to shoot some video of our local Fire Academy. In this, there could be shots from inside the fire room, away from the smoke and water, at floor level (so there is less heat).

Since I am not brave enough to take MY GL2 in there (don't worry, it's my baby) but am dumb enough to take in a Canon Optura (yes, the origional), what is the best way to keep the Optura protected?

Thanks!
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 06:55 PM   #2
Major Player

You may see if you can wrap it in some fire-protectant sheet or blanket. Don't know what they have at the academy, but I am sure one of those guys could turn you on to something that would protect it. Make sure you have a UV filter on that sucker! Are you going to have the fireproof gloves on? If so, adjusting anything is probably out, so make sure you get it set before you run in. You're brave! Good Luck.

Clay
Old December 2nd, 2003, 12:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the tips. I will borrow an extra Turnout jacket (Fireman's jacket) and wrap the camera in it.

I planned on sticking the camera on auto... I will have enough to think about besides fiddeling with the settings.

It's really not that hot in the back of the room... just smokey.

I will post some footage if ya'll would like when if I get some good stuff in the next few weeks.

- AR
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 04:58 AM   #4
Wrangler

Consider an undewater housing, or at least a good rain hood made for camcorders.

As I recall, the original Optura's did not do well in poor light.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

If there is smoke then there are particles in the smoke and you do NOT want to expose the innards of the camera and the tape to those conditions. So, at the very least stick the camera in a zip-lock bag, cut a hole for the lens and then tape the bag to the filter.

Then again, if it gets too warm you might need to worry about the plastic melting but you said it isn't that hot where you will be.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders