DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Steadicam video cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/18846-steadicam-video-cable.html)

Bruce Cleveland December 26th, 2003 07:04 PM

Steadicam video cable

Can anyone tell me where I can get a short video cable to run from my GL2 to my steadicam monitor?

Bruce Cleveland

Rob Lohman December 29th, 2003 02:23 PM

Perhaps B&H has a suitable cable in their catalog?

Bruce Cleveland December 29th, 2003 03:13 PM

Thanks Rob. Couldn't find anything there. I guess it would help if I new the name of the cable I need.

Bruce

Charles Papert December 29th, 2003 05:55 PM

Isn't it just a really short RCA cable...? Like 1 ft? In a pinch, you can get the shortest one from Radio Shack or equivalent and tie up the slack, or even chop it and electrical tape the remains.

Bruce Cleveland December 29th, 2003 06:28 PM

It is rca on one end, but on the other end it is thinner, like the jacks you plug into walkmans. Can't think of the name right now. But yes this is what I need, a shorter cable but with 2 different ends. Right now I am using the av cable that came with the GL2 and it is 3 feet long with audio plugs as well, so it is fairly clumsy and hard to balance the steadicam.

Bruce

John Locke December 29th, 2003 07:26 PM

Bruce,

I just went out and bought a short RCA video cable, then peeled the yellow strip away from the red and white strips. It didn't damage the insulation around the cable itself.

After that, sounds like you just need a mini-plug adapter.

Radio Shack or any electronics place will have this stuff.

Hank Freeman December 29th, 2003 08:04 PM

tip ring ring sleeve

john, I know what your asking for and unfortunately the 1/8" connector (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) is not found in any other lengths. I have the same issue and had to cut an existing cable, then solder new RCA connectors on the coaxial cables.

Rob Lohman January 1st, 2004 10:52 AM

I think most electronic shops should be able to make you such
a cable if you can tell them (or show them) which connectors you
need.

Bruce Cleveland January 1st, 2004 12:05 PM

Thanks for all the help about my cable question. I was hoping that someone with a GL2 and steadicam had a specific cable and could point me to the supplier. Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Bruce

Jim McQuaid January 9th, 2004 07:13 PM

cable for steadicam monitor

Get a spare of the GL2 to TV cable, the one that plugs into the AV outlet on the camera and the red/white/yellow on the TV. peel off the red & white and, if you want, cut the cable's length (some soldering involved); plug the yellow into the steadicam and the av into the camera and I think you are done.

Bruce Cleveland January 10th, 2004 08:08 AM

Thanks Jim. I think I am going to try that. I still can't believe that there isn't a cable out there that is designed for this purpose. I think I am going to give the people at Steadicam a call.

Bruce

Rafael Guerrero January 15th, 2004 04:42 PM

Buy a miniplug adaptor

Bruce,

I have exactly the same steadicam and camera as yours. I bought a miniplug adapter from an electronic's store and that's all you need to have it working.

Kiwi

Bruce Cleveland January 15th, 2004 06:17 PM

Thanks Kiwi that is the answer I have been looking for. BTW, I had to return the steadicam for a replacement. Something was rubbing in the gimbel area and that was not very smooth when it got to that spot. Tri-State camera sent me a replacement. Good doing business with them and the unit was much cheaper than anywhere else. Thanks for the reply.

Bruce