DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Century Optics 16:9 Widescreen Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/18850-century-optics-16-9-widescreen-adapter.html)

Eddie Jackson December 26th, 2003 09:20 PM

Century Optics 16:9 Widescreen Adapter

Looking for one of these. Anyone have any info about how well they work. Also, if anyone wants to sell one? I just wanted to ask the GL2 owners directly.
Thanks.
EJ

Thomas Fraser December 26th, 2003 10:44 PM

16:9 the easy way, no cost

In Premiere 6.5 titler you can create black bars and super them over your video. Turn on the 16:9 guide lines in your GL2 and film, then add black bars post production with Premiere.
It looks great..just remember to shot as if your camera was a 16:9 format.
Hope this helps.

Eddie Jackson December 26th, 2003 11:53 PM

16x9

Thanks. Now, where can I get a copy of Premiere 6.5 titler?

Eddie Jackson December 26th, 2003 11:55 PM

16x9

Can I do it in Apple's Final Cut Express?

Marco Leavitt December 28th, 2003 03:59 PM

Cropping is no substitute for using an anamorphic adapter. I've been using the Century for a couple of weeks, and the difference is really dramatic. The old footage we shot in digital 16:9 looks like the lens is covered in sludge. If you're serious about shooting wide screen, go for the adapter. You could get one for less than $400 used. It's much easier to use than I had thought it would be.

Eddie Jackson December 28th, 2003 05:51 PM

16x9

Marco, Thomas I believe was saying to shoot in 4:3 ratio (with the 16x9 guide lines on) then in post simply black out the top and bottom to look like you shot in 16x9 without losing any resolution. This seems like a good way to do it.

Rosie Young December 29th, 2003 08:00 AM

Eddie, could you tell me how to turn the 16:9 guidelines on?

thanks,

Rosie

Marco Leavitt December 29th, 2003 08:09 AM

Yeah, letterboxed on a regular television it would look about the same, although it might be slightly sharper with the adapter. If you were to play it back on a wide screen TV though, your footage would be much, much sharper with the adapter.

Eddie Jackson December 29th, 2003 08:51 PM

Oh. Thanks. That makes sense o me.

Dave Largent February 26th, 2004 07:52 PM

New Century Anamorphic Now Available For GL1/2

Finally. Full zoom through. At B&H. Someone
should get it and write a review.
Hurry, before they're back-ordered.
I'd do it but I don't have that camera.

Pete Bauer February 26th, 2004 08:20 PM

Thanks -- been watching for this to actually show up on the market.

"Caveat emptor" before you order, though folks! The Century Optics web site still shows this in its "New Products" section (no update to the web site for a couple months, at least) and B&H shows it as a 7-14 day special order, no cancellations or returns and you'll be charged upon order, NOT when shipped! Makes me wonder if it is REALLY available yet. Haven't had a chance to check other vendors yet...will probably have a chat with my favorite, Zotz, tomorrow.

I'd personally rather hold out for the next crop of HDV cameras, but will be traveling to some unusual places this spring and will drop the bucks on this adapter if it is as good as we all hope, and no new HDV cameras are out by mid-April (hope springs eternal, eh?). If I get the adapter, I will post all about it!

Cheers,

Simon Wyndham March 5th, 2004 07:54 AM

Vignetting

Sounds like good news, but does it suffer from vignetting at all?

Peter Moore March 5th, 2004 02:37 PM

" Someone should get it and write a review. "

Sure - so who do I talk to about DVInfo.net buying it for me to review? :)

Dave Largent March 27th, 2004 12:54 AM

New Century Zoom-through Anamorphic

Anyone know of anyone, anywhere that has
acquired this lens? Supposedly available
now for the GL1/2. I suggested awhile back
on the GL board that someone should
get it and write a review.
Look into my eyes.
Ponder: frame mode, true 16:9, better low
light than PDX. Now: purchase. Now: write review so that we all know if you wasted your money. : - )

Boyd Ostroff March 27th, 2004 08:33 AM

Maybe if you would front the $1,300 that this baby costs then someone would bite ;-) But seriously, that's a pretty expensive piece of glass to put on a $2,000 camcorder. I suspect very few people are going to be ordering one of these, although it does sound nice.