DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Century Optics 16:9 Widescreen Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/18850-century-optics-16-9-widescreen-adapter.html)

Don Palomaki December 5th, 2007 07:49 AM

I believe there was a Sony mount version listed on the site yesterday.

Ryan Avery December 5th, 2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 787497)
Would this be suitable for the Sony PD170?

Cheers
Simon

Yes. Here is the link.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm...D=1072&IID=873

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Dave Robinson December 10th, 2007 10:39 AM

Can someone explain to my stupid little brain what the difference between this and a standard wide angle adaptor is? Does it make any 4:3 camera natively 16:9?

I can't get my head round the idea.

Chris Hurd December 10th, 2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Robinson (Post 790161)
Does it make any 4:3 camera natively 16:9?

Yes. That's exactly what it does, except remove the word "native." The camera is still native 4:3, but with this converter it's now recording 16:9 anamorphic without losing any vertical resolution.

This is completely different from a standard wide angle adapter, which simply gives you a wider field of view and has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the image itself (in other words, a wide angle adapter used on a 4:3 camcorder is still giving you 4:3 video).

Philippe Messier December 10th, 2007 11:38 AM

It's pretty simple really... :

the WA lense will give you just that : a wider angle either in 4/3 or 16/9

the 16/9 adaptor here will actually make sure that you use all the pixel of the 4/3 normal ratio of the GL2 for a "real" *optical* 16/9 ratio, instead of using the mode "widescreen" on your GL2 which give you a "false" 16/9 ratio, electronically created...(which is losing resolution)

In short, this adaptor will give you more resolution (the maximum that the GL2 can) if you want to shoot in 16/9.

It's basically the best way to get the best 16/9 from a GL2 (or any 4/3 cameras for that matter). Other than that, you need to get a camera with real 16/9 chips (XL2 for instance or almost all HD camera around).

Phil

Don Palomaki December 10th, 2007 04:01 PM

Full vertical resolution, but wider pixels, so horizontal width is greater for the same number of pixels. Also,apparently it is not full zoom-though on either end, but you do get a bit wider horizontal field of view than you do with the standard lens at full wide.

Jean-Philippe Archibald December 11th, 2007 08:12 AM

Is there an XL1 version somewhere?

Don Palomaki December 11th, 2007 11:20 AM

I've not heard of a 16x9 adapter with 72mm mount specifically for the XL1. Panasonic offers the Anamorphic Adapter LA-7200G in 72mm mount for some of their camcorders. But I really know nothing about it. Some details and reviews at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Adapter.html
I understand it has been tried on a XL-series camcorder, but have no personal experience with it. You may find more information in the several XL series camcorder forums.

For the price you would have to pay for a quality 16x9adapter in a 72mm mount, and considering the limitations it may have on zoom range, etc., you just may be better off trading the XL1 and cash for, say, a XH-A1 with native 16x9 capability, and HD to boot. Then again, you may be able to find a used model at a bargain price from someone who has switched to HD.

Jean-Philippe Archibald December 11th, 2007 11:31 AM

My question was mostly asked in relation with this sale from schneider optics. I never considered a 16:9 adaptor an option because of the limitations you pointed and the relatively high cost usually asked for them. Instead I bought an XL2.

But I have an XL1 sitting on a shelf here and if there was an adapter for a couple of hundreds or less, I might be able to use it in some two cameras situations.

Don Palomaki December 11th, 2007 01:40 PM

I see them listed used for around U$400, give or take, on auction sites, Craigs List, etc.

Dale Guthormsen December 11th, 2007 10:39 PM

Good evening,

thankyou for this post. I eyeballed these a couple years back for my gl2 and passed because of the expense. I ordered mine today.
Ishoot 2 camera shoots with an xl2 and a gl2. Truly a score!!!!

thanks again!!! especially to schnider optics!!

Travis Halverson December 12th, 2007 05:11 PM

so, do you have the camera set on 4:3 or 16:9

Bob Thieda December 12th, 2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Halverson (Post 791357)
so, do you have the camera set on 4:3 or 16:9

When using the Century 16:9 adaptor....set the camera for 4:3.
You expand the video to 16:9 after capture.

Bob T.

Chris Barcellos December 12th, 2007 06:11 PM

I ordered this to compliment my VX. I know it is bayonet for that camera. I am curious if I could use it on my HV20 to get academy or wider aperature, with some sort of adapter. Might be fun to play with...

Tom Blizzard December 13th, 2007 05:47 PM

This seems to be just what I am looking for. YES !! I have two GL2 cams. However, would you please answer some questions?

Can we say that this lens will give me a true anamorphic picture? I think the answer is "YES". If so, how will I "unsqueeze " the picture when I capture it using Premiere Elements? It's OK if I don't,or don't need to, but my main concern is if I burn the final editied project to a DVD will it be in an anamorphic 16:9 format on the disc?

In other words will a DVD player set in the 4:3 mode properly display the geometry of my film with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Yet if the DVD player is set in the 16:9 mode, will the picture have correct geometry and fill the widescreen TV ???