Century Optics 16:9 Widescreen Adapter - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:27 AM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Singh View Post
2. Is there an inexpensive sunshade I could purchase for this?

I think the obvious "sunshade filter holder" will kill both birds, but the ones I've seen are way out of my price range. Please suggest any cheap solutions!
I measured the O.D. of the lens and found this on E-bay cheap:
http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450020233/5.jpg
http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450020233/6.jpg

The brand name on the hood is "Tamron"
It's not perfect and it doesn't answer the filter issue. I had to cut it down to avoid vignetting....but it's better than nothing.

Bob T.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #92
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Have done a bit of shooting with it, and then stretch it in Vegas. Pretty nice results. Its feels like I have a new SD 16:9 camera. Gonna have a little fun with it in the next couple of weeks.
If your doing a ton of clips, you can use a script in Vegas to stretch them all at once....
Ed Troxel put one up at his site...it's near the end of this thread:

http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/viewtopic.php?t=984

Bob T.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM   #93
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blizzard View Post
Sunny, do you have any zoom at all??
Hi Tom,

The zoom is very shallow. In fact, I'm not even sure how to quantify it. I can post a video of me zooming in/out with the lens if you like.
Sunny Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM   #94
Major Player

Your zoom is cut down quite a bit, a tradeoff for native 16:9. But it's not eliminated. I would say that you would want to zoom in only about halfway, otherwise you'll have a lot of "fun" trying to find your focus. If you're doing some sort of documentary or nature stuff, then the 16:9 adapter may not be for you unless you can refrain from zooming or are willing to go back and forth from the digital 16:9 mode when you need zooming and back to the adapter when you don't. Don't do both digital 16:9 and the adapter unless you're wanting to go for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio look.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Thanks Sunny and you too, Jack. My two lens are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Now I know what to expect.
I need a small amount of zoom for a stage performance long shot, but none for the dolly shots up close.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #96
Regular Crew

I got my package. Here is two quick pictures of the Sunshade. It looks very nice.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2033/img2088tc6.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7379/img2089cl0.jpg
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Wow, that is one good looking sunshade. Thanks for pics, Chris.
I think you made a good choice. Funny, I never thought I'd pay the same price for a lens that I'd pay for the sunshade..... decisions, decisions........
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Chris, thanks for sharing those pictures. When you get a chance, can you take a picture of the sunshade mounted to the lens/GL2? Thanks in advance!
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #99
Regular Crew

Quote:
Funny, I never thought I'd pay the same price for a lens that I'd pay for the sunshade..... decisions, decisions........
With all due respect to Schneider Optics and similar companies, why are the sunshades (moreover, all related accessories) so expensive? Is the reason because such items are not mass produced? I mean, $100 for the sunshade/filter holder is by far the cheapest I've seen, but I'm still having an extremely difficult time trying to justify the cost.

I'm just an amateur videographer and I'm new to the world of buying accessories for my GL2. I'm just really surprised that should I decide to purchase the necessary accessories for my 16:9 adapter (ie sunshade, filters), the total cost will be a significant percentage of what I originally paid for the GL2.

Maybe I should pick up a less costly hobby!
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #100
Inner Circle

Sunny,

I do not think this is a Hobby!!!

It is more like a disease!!!

I am convinced when you look at the entire kit, the camera is one of the cheaper expenses. A good tripod will cost as much a a camera. I hate to even start adding it up!!!
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:31 AM   #101
Regular Crew

Cheap sunshade

Hello Sunny,

I'm a budget-minded consumer myself. I decide very carefully what I spend most of my money on, and what I bargain price shop for. Take a look at Cokin video filters, they have an adaptor ring (model P-499) that fits the 16:9 adaptor (although the screws that come with the ring are way to long, so I replaced them) With the adaptor ring I can attach my Cokin "P" series filter holder that I use with my digital SLR camera. The filter holder has it's own sunshade that only cost about $10.00. The adaptor was $30.00 and the filter holder is around $25.00. It may not look professional, but it gets the job done. Maybe after a few years I'll upgrade my setup, but I have my money set on other sights.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM   #102
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Singh View Post
With all due respect to Schneider Optics and similar companies, why are the sunshades (moreover, all related accessories) so expensive? Is the reason because such items are not mass produced? I mean, $100 for the sunshade/filter holder is by far the cheapest I've seen, but I'm still having an extremely difficult time trying to justify the cost.

I'm just an amateur videographer and I'm new to the world of buying accessories for my GL2. I'm just really surprised that should I decide to purchase the necessary accessories for my 16:9 adapter (ie sunshade, filters), the total cost will be a significant percentage of what I originally paid for the GL2.

Maybe I should pick up a less costly hobby!

Sunny,

You made the point exactly in your comment. A $100 sunshade filter holder is the least expensive I've seen that does both. We manufacture mostly sunshade filter holders because most people want to be able to filter thier lens and it is less expensive than buying a matte box (unless you want to use a polarizer).

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM   #103
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

We just found one more 16:9 GL adapter during year end inventory that we are selling for $99.00. I would imagine that this will last a very limited time as well. Order through the website or give us a call if you want it.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Ryan, thanks for letting us know.

Sold !!
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Oh yes, thanks to Bob Thieda too. Without this thread I might not have ever know about this great deal for my GL 2 cams.
Your welcome!
And I want to thank Chris van der Zaan for posting that link to the $99 sun shade and filter holder.
Mine arrived yesterday and it's very nice....And it fits my wide angle lens also!

Now I just need to get some filters for it.

Bob T.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders